Protecting the 2010 gas tank.

12 replies to this topic
  • rickallen124

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Has anyone found a good way to protect the gas tank where your legs rub against it? At the rate I'm going it's going to be trashed quickly. I thought about clear vinyl but the gas would probably bubble it. Any ideas?

• BBrown626

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:24 PM

clear vinyl with slits like the aftermarket graphics kits?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:32 PM

clear vinyl with slits like the aftermarket graphics kits?

thats what i would do. But then again dont legs rub on any 450 tank? It seems it would take a long time to wear through a tank. Unless I am missing something.

• jaybird67k

Posted March 03, 2010 - 07:13 PM

But then again dont legs rub on any 450 tank?

It will rub thru pretty quick with knee braces on the 10 model.

Jason

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 03, 2010 - 07:17 PM

oh, i have not personally seen one yet, thats interesting

• rickallen124

Posted March 03, 2010 - 09:34 PM

The gas tank is exposed at the bottom so that you can see if it has gas. It's also very exposed to knee brace/boot wear. I wish it was tucked in a little more. I need to figure out some way to place small holes in the vinly so that it doesn't bubble.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 04, 2010 - 07:51 AM

The gas tank is exposed at the bottom so that you can see if it has gas. It's also very exposed to knee brace/boot wear. I wish it was tucked in a little more. I need to figure out some way to place small holes in the vinly so that it doesn't bubble.

Just use a hand-held hole punch or a knife and cut slits in the vinyl prior to sticking it on. Worst case scenario is it bubbles anyway and you have to peel it off.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:14 AM

N Style makes sheets of real thick adhesive clear vinyl :

http://www.n-style.c...CLEAR__N01.aspx

I cut strips and stick them to my frame and engine covers.

• motojase316

Posted March 05, 2010 - 04:35 AM

My new shroud kit has that piece with the holes in for venting out the fuel.

• rickallen124

Posted March 05, 2010 - 06:22 AM

who makes the shroud kit?

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:40 AM

It will rub thru pretty quick with knee braces on the 10 model.

Jason

I don't how tall you are, but I'm only about 5'10", and my knees are too high up on the bike when I'm standing to come into much contact with that section of the tank (the tops of my boots is right about that height.)

• motojase316

Posted March 05, 2010 - 05:44 PM

who makes the shroud kit?

Its made by a decal company who does all my bikes Down here in Australia.I asked him specifically to include that piece for my kit and it was done. will get a pic up soon, they arrive soon.

• fraser

Posted March 08, 2010 - 01:58 AM

Wasn't this tank supposed to be semi transparent so you could see the fuel level?
Maybe I've not let mine get low enough yet, but I can't see anything through it at all.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.