1999 YZ400 triple tree

7 replies to this topic
  • nakedwarrior

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:02 PM

I have a 1999 Yamaha 400 front end that I am planning on putting on my XT500 Yamaha. As I knew this would take a considerable amount of planning and work, I have never attempted to remove a spindle from the triple tree. My question to all you wrenchers, has anyone out there take one off. I appears to be a pressed in fit, but not too sure. I dont want to put it in the press, and find out that it screws in. The spindle is just a bit too long and plan on putting it on the lathe to shorten it,..or just make a new one. Any siggestions? Thanks in advance! NW

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:30 PM

I have a 1999 Yamaha 400 front end that I am planning on putting on my XT500 Yamaha. As I knew this would take a considerable amount of planning and work, I have never attempted to remove a spindle from the triple tree. My question to all you wrenchers, has anyone out there take one off. I appears to be a pressed in fit, but not too sure. I dont want to put it in the press, and find out that it screws in. The spindle is just a bit too long and plan on putting it on the lathe to shorten it,..or just make a new one. Any siggestions? Thanks in advance! NW

The stem is pressed into the clamp from the factory. The two parts cannot be purchased separately.

• nakedwarrior

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:40 PM

Thats great! Thats kinda what I was hoping that it was pressed in, but after reading a different forum on v-twins, someone had indicated that the stem on their bike was screwed in.I just didnt want to press it out, then find it was a screw in! Thanks for that! NW

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thats great! Thats kinda what I was hoping that it was pressed in, but after reading a different forum on v-twins, someone had indicated that the stem on their bike was screwed in.I just didnt want to press it out, then find it was a screw in! Thanks for that! NW

your welcome. The only reason I know is because a shop wrecked my bottom clamp and stem when i took it in to have the bottom bearing pressed off. They pressed the stem out fine, but going back together it was crooked. They had to buy me a whole new complete clamp and stem. a $500 mistake on their part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:03 PM

The stem is pressed in from the bottom, and has a wire ring in the bottom end of it to keep it from pulling through. Be sure to allow clearance for the ring as you set the press up.

• nakedwarrior

Posted March 03, 2010 - 09:24 PM

Thanks very much guys,..I feel much better putting this under a 10 ton press knowing it isnt screwed in. Grayracer, can you elaborate a bit more on the wire ring. Is it like a pistin wrist pin circlip??? It looks like the end of the stem is flared! When I press it out there is a wire ring securing it in place?? NW

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2010 - 12:07 AM

The wire ring is just like a wrist pin ring with no tangs. It won't keep the stem from pressing out unless the support under the clamp is too close to the stem for the ring to clear.

The bottom end of the bore in the clamp is counter bored just enough larger than the stem to accommodate the ring. The ring then stops the stem from moving up in the bore, and the close fit of the counter bore to the ring prevents the ring from disengaging the stem until it gets pushed out far enough.

Just be sure there's 2-3mm around the stem and push it out fearlessly. You'll understand it when you see it.

• nakedwarrior

Posted March 04, 2010 - 06:48 AM

Excellent!!!!!!!! Thanks so much,...you have pretty well drawn it out for me!!! Much appreciated!! NW

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.