06 YZ450 cams in a 426...

5 replies to this topic
  • Justin Pearson

Posted March 03, 2010 - 04:30 PM

My neighbor wants to buy my cams to convert his 426 to auto decomp. Ive considered Hot Cams in the past and we talked about him giving me cash towards getting new cams so he can have my current set.

Used but excellent shape cams/lifters, what do you guys think is a fair price?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 03, 2010 - 05:09 PM

My neighbor wants to buy my cams to convert his 426 to auto decomp. Ive considered Hot Cams in the past and we talked about him giving me cash towards getting new cams so he can have my current set.

Used but excellent shape cams/lifters, what do you guys think is a fair price?

for both, i would think since hotcams are $175 a set they would be worth $100 or maybe $120 if your lucky.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2010 - 07:49 PM

He will only be able to use the exhaust cam unless he plans on timing the cams with a degree wheel. This is because the heads are different, and the marks on the 450 cams do not line up in the 450 head when they are timed correctly.

When using the 450 exhaust cam, the 426 intake is timed correctly, and the exhaust cam is set in relation to the intake. Without the 426 intake cam, there is no usable reference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nizzle

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:26 PM

I just purchased a set of 06 450 cams on ebay for $45 a few weeks ago, they were in great shape.

• Justin Pearson

Posted March 05, 2010 - 08:53 AM

When using the 450 exhaust cam, the 426 intake is timed correctly, and the exhaust cam is set in relation to the intake.

In what way do you "set the exhaust cam relation to the intake"? Number of chain pins?

Are the 450 cams more aggresive then the 426? I dont think a more agressive exhaust cam without a proper intake to match would be optimal.

I dont have the proper tools to degree small engines, only V8's or I would just degree the cams and re-mark them...

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:23 AM

Look these two links over:
http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

http://www.thumperta...040#post5378040

Since the 450 timing marks won't align correctly in the 426 head, you use the correctly timed intake cam as a reference to time the exhaust.

The 450 grind has a similar lift, but a different profile. Most people who install the 450 cam in a 426/400 report that the engine has about the same or perhaps a bit more power, but that it pulls from low to upper mid more smoothly. Even though it feels stronger throughout the range, it feels less aggressive in a way, since it lacks the "hit", or sudden spike in the lower mid that the OEM 426 has .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.