fork height in clamps...?

6 replies to this topic
  • cherrymx

Posted March 02, 2010 - 09:35 AM

I did the fork seals on my new (to me) 06' wr450. When I put the forks back on the bike seems to set a little low in front.? The manual isn't very clear... Do you guys have the fork set with the top of the cap flush with the top of the clamp, or the top of the fork tube flush? Here's how mine is set right now. Only the beveled part of the fork tube is above the clamp.

Hope this picture works...

Posted Image

Edited by cherrymx, March 02, 2010 - 09:38 AM.
typo

• wondermuscle

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:50 AM

I have the first line on the fork tube flush with the top triple clamp. Which puts the top of the cap about .2" above the top of the top triple clamp.

If the forks are higher in the triple clamps the bike will be less stable at speed but it will want to turn a bit better. I can barely tell the difference, I think it is all mental. :thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:53 AM

Riders often change their fork height in the clamps to achieve quicker or slower steering. I'd say you're fine raising them a few mm; you'll know right away if the steering is good based on your rear sag setting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cherrymx

Posted March 02, 2010 - 12:01 PM

Anyone? Just wondering if my forks are set higher than spec in the clamp.
This is my first post in the WR forum after selling my XR. I guess I should have intro'd myself. I'm an American working in Germany. Aircraft mech working for the Air Force (civilian) I've owned a list of dirt bikes, most of them air cooled trail bikes ranging from DR's, XR's all sizes, KLR's...My new to me steel framed WR is the most modern bike I've owned and I'm pretty pumped. :thumbsup: I'm taking it to the trails tomorrow for the first ride of the spring. Anyway, if you can help me with my little fork height question, Thanks

• cherrymx

Posted March 02, 2010 - 12:15 PM

I have the first line on the fork tube flush with the top triple clamp. Which puts the top of the cap about .2" above the top of the top triple clamp.

If the forks are higher in the triple clamps the bike will be less stable at speed but it will want to turn a bit better. I can barely tell the difference, I think it is all mental. :thumbsup:

Sounds like I should be good...I'm already mental heheh.

• wondermuscle

Posted March 02, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Welcome to the WR forum my friend! :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted March 02, 2010 - 01:53 PM

Anyone? Just wondering if my forks are set higher than spec in the clamp.
This is my first post in the WR forum after selling my XR. I guess I should have intro'd myself. I'm an American working in Germany. Aircraft mech working for the Air Force (civilian) I've owned a list of dirt bikes, most of them air cooled trail bikes ranging from DR's, XR's all sizes, KLR's...My new to me steel framed WR is the most modern bike I've owned and I'm pretty pumped. :thumbsup: I'm taking it to the trails tomorrow for the first ride of the spring. Anyway, if you can help me with my little fork height question, Thanks

Welcome to the blue side! You are going to love it! :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.