For those who have (or have ridden) a 2010 450F....

13 replies to this topic
  • C64DK

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:48 PM

I'm on the verge of buying one (have a deposit on one that will be here soon). I keep hearing how much punch it has right off the bottom, and that it's not recommended for a novice.

I used to ride all the time as a kid/teen, but then didn't ride for many years until the past couple (I'm 42 now). I now ride a YZ-250F (love the light weight and suspension), and a KTM 450 XC-W (love the power). I ride mainly in the woods with some moto-x type riding on a friends farm.

I guess I'm thinking this bike will be light like the 250, powerful like the KTM 450 XC-W, and have fuel injection so I won't have to mess with the needles when the weather changes.

I know it's more bike than I need or could possibly use, but is it "too much" bike for me?? Is it really alot more powerful than the KTM (or my prior YZ 250 2T for that matter)?? Can't I dial down the initial hit with the programmer? I am excited about getting the bike, but a little nervous when I keep seeing "not for novices" types of remarks.

Thanks,

DK

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:55 PM

• I know it's more bike than I need or could possibly use, but is it "too much" bike for me??
  • Is it really alot more powerful than the KTM (or my prior YZ 250 2T for that matter)??
  • Can't I dial down the initial hit with the programmer?
  • I am excited about getting the bike, but a little nervous when I keep seeing "not for novices" types of remarks.

• No
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • That stuff is BS

• mediumfast

Posted March 01, 2010 - 06:54 PM

I only have 3 hrs. on mine and I'm a Vet Jr. level rider. I've been riding for a long time but I don't race much anymore. There's nothing scary about the bike. The throttle response takes some getting used to if you haven't ridden a fuel injected bike before. It's kind of like a light switch and it feels kind of jerky when ridden slow. This can be improved by putting some slack in the the throttle cable.

Now the handling.....I'm not quite comfortable with it yet. I rode on an unfamiliar track that was pretty deep sand. I will make another assessment after I ride my usual spot. I'm used to riding CRF450s (04, 06, 08) which are all stable platforms (especially the 06 and 08). They corner very predictably but aren't really what I consider a great cornering bike. The Yamaha doesn't feel the same in corners. As soon as you start thinking about turning the bike is already turning. You don't have to set up for turns like on the Honda. I think it will be good once I get used to it. I have to admit that it caught me off guard a few times. This is just my initial handling assessment. I haven't even set the sag yet and I was riding a different track than I usually ride.

• Lor

Posted March 01, 2010 - 07:54 PM

I love mine. My last bike was a 00 426. The throttle response is quick but like anything you learn and adapt. I did put some slack in the cable and that helped. You will like the bike and learn its little quirks. Overall you will be having so much fun you won't notice the response too much.

• BBrown626

Posted March 01, 2010 - 08:05 PM

• No
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • That stuff is BS

+ 1:thumbsup:
Ride it for a while then make any adjustments.

Throttle response is great and it isn't overly aggressive. It accelerates very smoothly when pinned. I've seen a couple posts on here about adding some slack to the throttle cable to lessen the responsiveness and I don't understand it. You could throw on the revolver (?) throttle tube set with adjustable throttle throw.
I used to have an '04 450F. Now that was an overly aggressive beast! I love the responsiveness and the smooth power delivery of the '10.
I race 40+ Intermediate or Expert and don't ride trails, so my needs are different.
You will probably love the bike and laugh at the guys that told you it wasn't for novices. They are just jealous!

• freerider_australia

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:28 PM

when i first got mine i found the throttle response very agressive (i have already been riding 450 s) i tamed it down with the power tuner but i now can ride with any map now and i like the power
handling i am not real good at cornering but i did notice its good
stock suspention is realy good (i more into jumps) i found the the shock to be really resistent to bottoming out i softened it up
the bike has a light feeling even tho it is heaver
overall yamaha have done a great job of this bike considiring it a first of a model

• C64DK

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replys! I feel better about it now.

I know it is a beast, but there are some that act like it will rip your arms right out of their sockets and throw you into the nearest tree if you are not a professional rider.

I'm sure it is more powerful than my KTM 450 and my prior YZ 250 2 stroke, but it can't be THAT much more if you look at the horsepower numbers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper38

Posted March 02, 2010 - 02:03 PM

You will love it! the power tuner will make you smile! GET IT

• RWITT

Posted March 06, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I thought it felt like a 250 2 stroke weight wise with 450 power.

• eazrider

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:01 AM

Folks talk about the "response" at off idle openings. This is how I would describe it....If you were cruising along in your automobile at, say 35 mph, steady throttle, and turned the ignition on/off, you would replicate what the '10 does as you go from idle to just barely on the throttle, as when you are picking a line through a rockpile around/over rocks. It is fine for motoX, as generally you are on the throttle or on the brakes. Hopping around in the rocks will drive you crazy and give you the worst case of "Yama-thumb" you ever had due to the constant lurching back and forth. he solution is to feather the clutch a bit to control your speed and decouple the "lurching" of the engine at low throttle openings. I've installed a Core EXP, and it exacerbated the problem, as the EXP clutch locks up very quickly just off idle, and one's natural tendency is to back off the throttle when it lurches, and occasionly it flames out. I've installed the stiffer springs from Rekluse, and also installed lighter centrifugal weights to raise and smooth the engagement. It helps some, but just picked up a power tuner to see about backing some timing out to lessen the initial "hit"... we'll see. For mot-x I never notice the issue, but in the rocks,....aaargh....
:banana:

• smithjeb

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:16 AM

Folks talk about the "response" at off idle openings. This is how I would describe it....If you were cruising along in your automobile at, say 35 mph, steady throttle, and turned the ignition on/off, you would replicate what the '10 does as you go from idle to just barely on the throttle, as when you are picking a line through a rockpile around/over rocks. It is fine for motoX, as generally you are on the throttle or on the brakes. Hopping around in the rocks will drive you crazy and give you the worst case of "Yama-thumb" you ever had due to the constant lurching back and forth. he solution is to feather the clutch a bit to control your speed and decouple the "lurching" of the engine at low throttle openings. I've installed a Core EXP, and it exacerbated the problem, as the EXP clutch locks up very quickly just off idle, and one's natural tendency is to back off the throttle when it lurches, and occasionly it flames out. I've installed the stiffer springs from Rekluse, and also installed lighter centrifugal weights to raise and smooth the engagement. It helps some, but just picked up a power tuner to see about backing some timing out to lessen the initial "hit"... we'll see. For mot-x I never notice the issue, but in the rocks,....aaargh....
:banana:

Turn you idle up a few clicks and then back it off to find the sweet spot where it does not cough out. Make sure your lever is adjusted correctly. I can gty you that you can get the Rekluse to behave perfectly - start with idle.

• C64DK

Posted March 10, 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well, I picked it up and I'm glad I did! I've only ridden it in the woods so far, but it is a great bike. The suspension is outstanding, best I've been on. It's so stable on bumps and ruts, it's like they aren't there. Also handles great, feels like a 250, so the "mass centralization" does seem to work.

My only complaint in the woods is that it stalls frequently if you are not fast on the clutch. And when it does stall, it's a bitch to get restarted. This shouldn't be a problem on the track for the most part, just be quick on the clutch if you get blocked in a slow turn or you will spend the rest of the moto kicking it.

I was considering the Rekluse to prevent the stalling, but from the post above I guess it may not be the way to go. Maybe a heavier flywheel????

Overall, great bike though. The power is abrupt, but it isn't uncontrollable. I'd agree it's not a good first bike, but if you can ride any of the other large MX bikes or any of the 450 woods bikes, you can ride this one.

• smithjeb

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:18 PM

I was considering the Rekluse to prevent the stalling, but from the post above I guess it may not be the way to go. Maybe a heavier flywheel????

I wish some of you guys would ride a bike with a Rekluse set-up well on it.....you couldn't stall my 2010 if you tried.

• eazrider

Posted March 10, 2010 - 07:56 PM

I wish some of you guys would ride a bike with a Rekluse set-up well on it.....you couldn't stall my 2010 if you tried.

It's not a Rekluse set up issue...I'm on my 4th Rekluse on 3 different bikes, I know how to set up a Rekluse. The EXP is much less tunable than the previous versions. You can't raise the engagement point significantly enough to let you raise the idle and band aid the inadvertent flame-out. Bottom line, installing lighter weights from Rekluse and using the MXA tune to reduce off idle hit changes the character of the off idle transition to where it is a joy to ride...and having the ability to tune just the part of the power band that is an issue is amazing...it still has that gangbuster hit on the bottom...just not immediately off idle..!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.