Carb spilling fuel please help

14 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:16 PM

I installed my carb today. Turned the fuel on and fuel started spilling out the vent tube from bottom of carb bowl at a steady rate. This was with bike not running. I took the carb off and with float hanging I blew into fuel line and air went through. I pushed float up and blew and no air went through...so the float and needle are working. I also noticed that the vent tube on the bowl is attached to some long rod that goes way high into the carb. So what could be causing this. Thanks everyone.

Mike

• kalvin22

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:22 PM

most likely your float is sticking open. if it moves freely it may have a pin hole and be filling with fuel so that it wont "float" and shut the fuel off:ride:

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:30 PM

So it has to be float oriented? Hmm.

• tcmII

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:35 PM

Also keep in mind that you checked that it seals, but did you check the height? If it's set wrong it will still overflow.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 01, 2010 - 05:43 PM

No the float height has not been checked. I don't know how to do that. Can u explain? Thanks.

• Chas_M

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:23 PM

This is a fairly common problem in older FCR carbs and is often due to a deteriorating O-ring around the float needle valve. They are easy to replace. These are very specialized Sudco O-rings, and sometimes difficult to find separately without buying a whole fairly expensive new float needle/valve assembly. Yamaha shops have these O-rings available separately now. We had one go out at Spangler Hills last week and the Honda shop in Ridgecrest,CA had them in stock in Yamaha labelled bags at $5 each.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:46 PM

Only problem is that the needle valve is brand spanking new along with the main jet pilot valve needle float bowl accelerator pump and diaphragm by accel pump :-(

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:20 PM

ok. I just took the float off and the needle valve. What Oring are you referring to? There is none visible. The needle valve has the viton tip but I see no oring . I can see a bronze needle vavle seat but this is NON removable. Parts diagrahm shows an oring under the seat but again the seat is non removable in the 2004 Carb. Thanks.

• Chas_M

Posted March 02, 2010 - 06:24 AM

The O-ring is on the needle seat. I am sure that the needle seat is replaceable on all FCR carbs. The needle seat is held in by a retainer. Unscrew the retainer, pull out the needle seat and replace the O-ring.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 02, 2010 - 09:37 AM

My needle seat on my 04 doesn't come off. I even took it to yamaha and called Tokyo mods too. They said some years has "pressed in" non removable seats. There is nothing to grab on to unscrew this seat. I tried before when I was rebuilding this carb :-(

• WR_Dave

Posted March 02, 2010 - 10:14 AM

The needle seats are no l9nger removable since '04 I believe, so the O-ring leak isn't the issue. I think if you go here http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0 and download the service manual for your bike you should be good to go for the float height setting, which seems to be your issue. If you have it set too high it will not seal and you will overfill the float bowl. WR Dave

• Chas_M

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:35 AM

My needle seat on my 04 doesn't come off. I even took it to yamaha and called Tokyo mods too. They said some years has "pressed in" non removable seats. There is nothing to grab on to unscrew this seat. I tried before when I was rebuilding this carb :-(

I didn't realize there was this difference in carbs. The FCR carbs I am familiar with are on KTM's, although the repair needle seat O-ring used had a Yamaha part # on the container.

• phynx

Posted March 02, 2010 - 01:59 PM

There is nothing to grab on to unscrew this seat. I tried before when I was rebuilding this carb :-(

Pull.:thumbsup:

• 06_WR_450

Posted March 03, 2010 - 01:46 PM

I'm having an issue similar to yours. Lets us know how it works out for you.

I will start a new thread with my question to keep from hijacking yours. Good luck.

• Chas_M

Posted March 17, 2010 - 07:01 AM

I didn't realize there was this difference in carbs. The FCR carbs I am familiar with are on KTM's, although the repair needle seat O-ring used had a Yamaha part # on the container.

The Yamaha Part# for the O-ring is: 8 F2-14147-00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.