Speedo & Odometer Recommendations

4 replies to this topic
  • azmxer33

Posted May 22, 2003 - 12:54 PM

Any one got a recommendation for an inexpensive speedo/odometer unit? The original odometer was removed from my bike and I'd like one that has speed and distance. Thanks.

• Burren_Rider

Posted May 22, 2003 - 01:30 PM

You could have a look at the Trail Tech Endurance unit's. They are pretty easy to mount and seem to be pretty robust. They tell you more things than you would ever need to know and can even be used effectively with route sheets as the tripmeter can be adjusted for trail discrepancies. They come in kits designed specifically for the XR and can be fitted in about an hour if you are half handy in the shed.

So far I have done around 6000km's with it fitted to the bike and I have had no problems to speak of. I have used pushbike speedo's in the past and they don't seem to hold up to water real well so while they are cheaper initially they are harder to fit and don't seem as reliable in the long run. The other advantage of a digital unit is that they are generally more accurate (if calibrated correctly), more compact and you can remove the speedo cable to stop it flapping in the breeze.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted May 22, 2003 - 01:45 PM

I see cheap GPS receivers today around $100.00. It is easy to hard wire them to the bikes electrical system. They tell you speed and miles and so much more.

• smashinz2002

Posted May 22, 2003 - 05:38 PM

mid 80's XR350R speedo/trip meter for 650R. It fits perfectly using the existing cable and bar mount. Takes about five minutes to install. Analog speedo with trip meter. Nothing fancy. Many of the new, electronic items are not only cheaper, but also far better. Requires more involved installation however.

• azmxer33

Posted May 22, 2003 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll have to go digital or GPS since the guy I bought the bike from put aftermarket wheels on it so the hub doesn't have the connection for a speedo.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.