Brake light installation

1 reply to this topic
  • azmxer33

Posted May 22, 2003 - 12:50 PM

Any body with info on how to hook up the brake light on a '00 XR650? I've got the switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the rear brake master cylinder with two wires coming out of it. The directions only say to hook one wire up to the light and one to a power source. Any more info would be appreciated, i.e. power source location, does the wiring to the light stay plugged in to the existing male/female connectors and the switch is spliced in to one of those? Also looking for a part number for the bulb that is a running light and brake light. Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted May 22, 2003 - 03:04 PM

What I did was take a 12 volt tester and find the hot wire going back to the tail light. Then I soldered a wire to that wire and sent that to one side of the b/l switch. I run the wires through the rubber sleeve that covers the brake hose to keep them away from the exhaust pipe. The wire off the other side of that switch goes back to power the brake light.
Now the problem you run into with the bikes in the US is this is a single filament bulb, you need a double filament bulb to be the brake light. There are many ways to solve this problem, I just swapped out the light socket in my bike for a dual filament bulb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.