battery problems or a charging problem?

26 replies to this topic
  • TLRam1

Posted March 03, 2010 - 12:29 PM

Is the Bikemaster battery junk? :thumbsup:

Many are, I had the same problem as you, one ride and it was toast before the ride was over, resorted to the kick starter.

Replaced with a Yuasa and problem solved, I stopped selling the Bike Master brand of there regular batteries. This particular battery is made in Japan.

• truebluedrz

Posted March 04, 2010 - 02:35 AM

Thats your problem...you need to charge the battery for 6 - 8 hours on 10 amps

what ?? don't do this to your new battery, thats a good way to fry a bike battery. (but I do think high amps for short time may help resurrect a stuffed battery)

if the battery started your bike when you first put it in then it has allready had a decent first charge, so there is another problem.( possibly dud battery) or a charging issue/wiring?

Edited by truebluedrz, March 04, 2010 - 09:36 AM.

• Ivan Krashn

Posted March 04, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Disconnect neg lead from battery and put a test light between battery post and lead. Make sure everything is turned off. If test light lights, you have a draw on your battery. These little batteries don't like deep discharge, especially for an extended period. They also don't like to be overcharged, that'll kill 'em. A 10 amp charge for a couple hours on a 7 amp/hour battery is like trying to put 5 gallons of gas in a 3 gallon tank. Trying to "shock" an AGM battery into shape is not a good idea. That theory works to an extent on a wet cell, some smart chargers have a mode that periodically hits the battery with a jolt for a short period of time to knock the sulfate from the lead plates. This is not something you want to do to your absorbed glass mat battery. At 11.6v after charging, your battery is toast. If you are getting an accurate voltage reading of ~ 13.5-14.5v, your charging system is working, however that doesn't mean it's being regulated properly.
BTW, I ride an 06 wr450f also. I'm giving the Turn Tech battery a shot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HunterGSXR

Posted March 04, 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Ivan. I'll try that.

And there is a warranty on the battery for 6 months so I'm going to see about sending it back (hopefully get a refund) and I'll try a better battery.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:42 PM

Disconnect neg lead from battery and put a test light between battery post and lead. Make sure everything is turned off. If test light lights, you have a draw on your battery. These little batteries don't like deep discharge, especially for an extended period. They also don't like to be overcharged, that'll kill 'em. A 10 amp charge for a couple hours on a 7 amp/hour battery is like trying to put 5 gallons of gas in a 3 gallon tank. Trying to "shock" an AGM battery into shape is not a good idea. That theory works to an extent on a wet cell, some smart chargers have a mode that periodically hits the battery with a jolt for a short period of time to knock the sulfate from the lead plates. This is not something you want to do to your absorbed glass mat battery. At 11.6v after charging, your battery is toast. If you are getting an accurate voltage reading of ~ 13.5-14.5v, your charging system is working, however that doesn't mean it's being regulated properly.
BTW, I ride an 06 wr450f also. I'm giving the Turn Tech battery a shot.

All true statements, I have been using the Turn Tech without a hint of low voltage for over a year with substantial sitting idle times ( effing Canadian winters ; ( ) and it is still at a ready to go 13.4 volts. However. due to the starter using plastic bushings, I never reccomend starting cold off of the starter, always use the kicker first start of the day and then don't worry after that. :thumbsup: WR Dave

• jlow

Posted March 07, 2010 - 04:36 PM

big coop dawg, not trying to offend, piss you off, or start an arguement, but i have always been under the impression that charging a smaller sized battery that goes in the 450 sized bikes wouldn't need that high of an amp rate for charging. i was informed that that would be bad for the battery. i could have been told wrong. i had problems with the stock battery on my 08 ever since i bought it new. the stock charging system sucks. put in a lithium battery and modified the stator, haven't had a problem since. occassionaly the tripometer and clock reset to 0/12:00 when the starter gets stuck @ TDC. haven't figured that one out yet. thanks, jlow

• JoeT

Posted March 10, 2010 - 05:15 AM

Reg/Rec rarely fail. Stators, run into that issue quite a bit. IF running the voltage reads 14+ it is not any of them.

Edit, only read the first page and didn't see that you had tried the 10A charger.

IMO, a short burst may be good for the battery but charging a lead acid battery in less than 1 hour is shortening its life.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.