Lighting Coil suspected faulty.

2 replies to this topic
  • FasYankee

Posted February 28, 2010 - 03:05 PM

I just took a neighborhood rip on my WR400 (Motard, 2k). When I pulled into the garage I noticed that I had no lights, tried the horn....nada there as well.

I took off the seat and checked the battery, it was at @4v....not good I think.....then took out my service manual and took a reading on the lighting coil wiring as directed. The result was slightly out of range...I was suspicious that the problem may be in (my) wiring of the harness for the lighting, so I took the battery out and swapped it for another 12v one that i use for testing purposes (bigger, like for a kids powerwheels truck), and the harness seemed to work fine.

Now I check the output line from the regulator, and at idle, she's putting out @8v, and @12v+- when revved a little. So now I'm going in circles....

I did the lighting setup from www.farawayplaces.com, the second type with the relay to switch on/off the lighting circut automatically. The only thing that I can figure is that the diode that's off the relay, for switching purposes, I used a really small one....maybe that's fried and is causing a short?

Anyone have any similar problems? I did a search, and couldn't find anything with specifics like this.....

I really hate electrical gremlins.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blackdog9

Posted February 28, 2010 - 05:09 PM

Dear friend:
Have a 2007 WRF 450, and a year ago year it started to burn front light, they checked and as result changed the rectifier...... fine until this week, when it started burning lights again.... Stator seems to be fine, and could the rectifier be failing again..so soon? Any help is needed.
Thanks

• blackdog9

Posted February 28, 2010 - 05:11 PM

by the way: Lighting coil is the same as rectifier ???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.