Steering bearings. OEM or other?

21 replies to this topic
  • reefskinner

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:13 AM

I am getting ready to replace the bearings on my 06 450 and was wondering if I should get OEM, or aftermarkets. I know that they updated the OEM unit, but is it the best choice?
Thanks in advance......:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:02 PM

Imo, oem.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:39 PM

OEM steering head bearings are not all that expensive in my opinion. Go OEM:ride:

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:41 PM

IMO pivot works is were its at:busted:

• reefskinner

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am not looking for the cheapest, I don't mind paying for quality. I just am wondering if there is something better than the OEM units available.

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 01, 2010 - 06:50 PM

pivot works then

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2010 - 07:52 PM

In what way are Pivot Works bearings better than OEM?

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Because their kit comes with both bearings and top seal for $49.95. I've used them on all of my bikes and I prefer them over oem. Their kits come with every piece needed to complete the job. In what ways are OEM bearings superior.

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 02, 2010 - 05:53 AM

I have used both and consider the Pivot Works and OEM to be about equal in quality. I like the fact that with Pivot Works you can order 1 part number and get everything you need.

I will say that neither will last very long without proper maintenance.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2010 - 07:42 AM

Their kits come with every piece needed to complete the job. In what ways are OEM bearings superior.

OEM bearings are top tier pieces from major Japanese manufacturers like Koyo and NTN. Not sure about PW, but at least one popular bearing kit marketer uses Chinese bearings instead. Just now looking at the Pivot Works kit, their lower bearing does not appear to have the integrated lower head seal that the OEM has, and the top bearing is the old, unsealed type (93332-00068-00), rather than the new 93332-00078-00 with a seal built in. This is particularly important with the aluminum framed bikes like the '06 the OP has, as the top seal doesn't actually seal well at all.

"Every piece needed" consists of only 3 in a steering head. If I needed to rebuild the rear linkage, I think PW would be a more attractive option, what with all the loose individual parts involved there, but not for the steering head, not for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone have pics of the old and new style?
Both 09's did not have seal built into bearing.

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 02, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Does anyone have pics of the old and new style?

Here's a thread I started sometime back that has pictures of the old style and new style bearings. http://www.thumperta... rusty steering

Now that I look back it's been over 6 months and the bearings are still in excellent shape. I have since replaced several others on the Yamaha's with the Pivot Works kit.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:25 AM

The original upper head bearing, which goes back to somewhere beyond '98, is 93332-00068-00. That bearing was originally listed for, and used in production on, the aluminum framed '06 and up models. When the sealing problem was identified in late '07, the updated bearing with an integrated seal was produced under PN 93332-00078-00. However, production models continued to be made with old 93332-00068-00 stock until late '09, when it was finally exhausted.

In almost every case, if you go to a Yamaha dealer and order the head bearing for an '06, even if it still lists a 93332-00068-00, it will change up to a 93332-00078-00 when the counter person tries to call it out. Be sure that you don't buy the ...68.. bearing from old dealer stock, though. Insist on the ...78..

• reefskinner

Posted March 02, 2010 - 05:32 PM

Well, I certainly wasn't looking to start a heated debate over this, but this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I have the old ones out and will be installing the new ones as soon as I see a clear winner. As it stands, there is not a clear winner, but the PW units have my attention. I may also go to my local supply house with the old ones and see what they can cross over. I want to be sure they have the extra seal for sure though.

• Solid State

Posted March 04, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Don't think you can get more information than you've already been given here. I'm impressed with the knowledge here. Seems like you'll go with the OEM due to the integrated seal though.

Good luck.

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 05, 2010 - 06:07 AM

Seems like you'll go with the OEM due to the integrated seal though.

Just to clear things up the pictures I posted are of the Pivot Works kit and not OEM. So far 8 months and still look great.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2010 - 07:48 AM

So, the PW has included the integrated seal on the upper now...

What's the country of origin on the bearings? The manufacturer?

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 05, 2010 - 09:15 AM

So, the PW has included the integrated seal on the upper now...

Yes, I bought the kit back in June of '09 so they have had the updated version for some time now.

What's the country of origin on the bearings? The manufacturer?

I'm not sure. I was in a hurry when I got the kit so I snapped a few pictures and stuck them in. Right now I'm scrambling to get a bike ready for a race this weekend but I'll pull it apart either tonight or tomorrow and let you know.

• ForsheeMS

Posted March 06, 2010 - 06:11 AM

Just pulled it apart and found no identifying marks on the bearings. The seals have Pivot Works on them with a number. Even the packaging has nothing on it as far as country of origin. If I had to guess I would say they are manufactured in China as nearly all of the Pivot Works products are. Even so, they are a decent part and the 3 or 4 sets I have installed have held up way better than the OEM part without the integrated seal.

• reefskinner

Posted March 06, 2010 - 09:57 AM

Well, I went with OEM this time around. I greased the hell out of them and put a little extra on the top seal for good measure. I will pull it apart in a few months for service and see how they look. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.