426 Cam Chain ?

6 replies to this topic
  • S2P

Posted February 28, 2010 - 06:30 AM

I need to replace the cam chain on my bike. I've read all the posts about doing it. My question is how often does this occur? My bike has around 1200 miles on it. I have not found a dealer in my area that has one in stock,and they all want $50 to order it. I have found them cheaper online,but then they all want $15 to ship,so back to $50. I find it strange that with the amount of people here that change them,the dealers don't stock any. Anybody want to chime in with their approximate mileage or how often their doing this.

• byggd

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Why are you replacing a chain with only 1200 miles on it?

• tribalbc

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yeah I'd say at 1200 miles don't worry about it.
I replaced mine on my 450 at 6500 miles of tight single track (lot's of hours)
It was stretched for sure but otherwise fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • S2P

Posted February 28, 2010 - 05:47 PM

The 1200 miles is only a guess,from what the previous owner told me and what I've put on it. It was noisy when I got it, went out to start it one day and died,couldn't restart it. Long story but found cams out of sync,adjuster for chain was maxed out.I talked to a couple guys we agreed chain shouldn't have stretched,put it all back together,tried to start it chain jumped and cams out again.

• tribalbc

Posted February 28, 2010 - 06:16 PM

The 1200 miles is only a guess,from what the previous owner told me and what I've put on it. It was noisy when I got it, went out to start it one day and died,couldn't restart it. Long story but found cams out of sync,adjuster for chain was maxed out.I talked to a couple guys we agreed chain shouldn't have stretched,put it all back together,tried to start it chain jumped and cams out again.

Well my guess is it has alot more than 1200 miles on it if it's that stretched.
You can replace it every year or two depending on how hard and much you ride.
My 07's OEM chain is only $13, too bad the older ones are that much more expensive.

• maxtherat

Posted March 02, 2010 - 07:17 PM

are you sure it is not your tensioner? I have reard more stories of those failing that i have of chains stretching to the point of jumping time

• Butta

Posted March 03, 2010 - 05:48 AM

You should replace both the tensioner and the chain, IMO. Used bikes are unknown quantities, and you are better off being safe than sorry. It's cheap insurance. I replace mine every 50 hours per the hour meter, purely because it forces me to keep up with what's going on inside and prohibits any chance of stretch. Some might say this is too often, but that's ok with me!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.