Why you change your oil every 10 Hours.

10 replies to this topic
  • clutchless

Posted February 27, 2010 - 02:17 PM

Tore down my 07 450 yesterday. Pretty pleased with how things looks. Over 200 hours in the desert, dunes, tracks and 3 races.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 27, 2010 - 02:24 PM

Looking good....looks like 95% of the yamahas that have that many hours.
You didn't use that brush on the valves did you? I know it's just the bottom of them but it looks like you scrapped off all the hard coating....yikes

• clutchless

Posted February 27, 2010 - 02:39 PM

Looking good....looks like 95% of the yamahas that have that many hours.
You didn't use that brush on the valves did you? I know it's just the bottom of them but it looks like you scrapped off all the hard coating....yikes

Sea Foam soak and a clean rag. Knocked off some of the large chunks of carbon on the cylinder head with the brush. I'm not sure if i am going to replace them yet. they passed the "liquid test" and nothing is seeping past them so they are still creating a good seal.

Pic before the Sea Foam soak.

Posted Image

Edited by CLUTCHLESS, February 27, 2010 - 02:54 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:20 PM

I know it's just the bottom of them but it looks like you scrapped off all the hard coating....yikes

They're not hard coated on the combustion chamber side. There's no reason for it.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 27, 2010 - 04:33 PM

Oil every 5 hours and oil and filter every 10 hours is my policy. Cheap insurance.

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scrubba

Posted February 27, 2010 - 10:16 PM

oil every hour and filter every three hours. is this over kill?

• cr 250

Posted February 27, 2010 - 10:22 PM

for me its overkill

oil every hour, i ride like 3 hours a ride, so thats mean i have to change it 3 times while riding,

i stretch mine sometimes to 15 hours, but i never hit the rev limiter

• husqy360

Posted February 28, 2010 - 01:37 AM

3 to 8 depend in the condition and the place work fine for me.
in the dunes any oil will loss its qualitys alot faster then when trail riding.

its depend in the way you ride and your terrain!

• norcal_hoss

Posted February 28, 2010 - 09:03 AM

Air filter can not be changed TOO MUCH. This is the most important part of maintenance. I run very high quality Motorex oil but still change it about every 4 rides. My buddies tha run motorex change theres out every 7-10 hours. Oil filter gets changed with oil. For me tho Air filter is swapped out every ride no matter what. Its impossible to do "too much" maintenance on a race bike.

• anthony250

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:05 AM

wow , good job on doing maintenence ,

• BaileyAZ

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:35 AM

I change mine every three rides. It puts me around 3-6 hours per change.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.