Snorkle Filter, Good Idea???

9 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 21, 2003 - 05:36 PM

In preparation for our ride at China Hat in Oregon this weekend I made a filter to sit in the open snorkle hole. Last year my filter was totally plugged by the end of the day, but we still had one more day of riding (high desert). In hopes of extending the filter service interval I cut a piece of coarse skid plate foam to the size of the snorkle opening and oiled it lightly. Next, I drilled small holes in the top of my airbox and ran three wires for the foam to sit on.

Has anyone tried this? Am I wasting my time?

I realize I may be losing a touch of power, but think it would be worth a cleaner filter. :)

• BruceWA

Posted May 21, 2003 - 05:54 PM

Have you tried Filter Skins? Have had very good luck with them.

• XR/CRDave

Posted May 21, 2003 - 08:12 PM

I tried this on my 95 XR600 with an old Outerwear that are used to cover dunebuggy air filters. I cut it to size and zip tied it on the lip where the air box lid used to be. I too was hoping to make my fitler stay clean longer but the bike would not run good at all. I guess XR's need lots of air. If you do try it, try it locally to make sure it works.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 22, 2003 - 11:16 AM

I have not tried filter skins because I usually ride in the woods where the filter doesn't get too dirty. I am interested in them, but never see them at my local dealer and forget to order them. The way I have the foam set up will allow me to pull it out if things fail. I could feel that it was a little boggy, but crisp throttle response is not required where we are going. The trails at China Hat are wide open and less than technical. I will let you know how it works on Monday.

Anyone else try this?

• TheWolf

Posted May 22, 2003 - 07:09 PM

How about a spare oiled and ready to go filter in a ziploc bag. Swap it out in 5 minutes and no worries.

/Curt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 23, 2003 - 05:07 AM

The wife isn't too cool with buying bike parts right now. She says I spend too much. I realize the spare is the best way, but the foam was free. Hopefully I will be able to sneak a new filter for next time.

I am waiting for 1:40!!! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Ryan

• qadsan

Posted May 23, 2003 - 08:25 AM

Am I wasting my time?

Heck no! Experimenting is great and maybe you'll come up with a new product idea from this. If the foam is the right density to where it can breath good and still filter well, then maybe its a good thing :D. Maybe performance won't suffer too much as opposed to leaving a gaping hole that sucks in more dust and perhaps your air filter won't need to be cleaned as often :).

• brett_h

Posted May 25, 2003 - 07:07 AM

I use filter skins, I clean it about 5 times before the main filter needs cleaning. I hate filter maintenance so the skins greatly increase the quality of my life. :)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 25, 2003 - 04:54 PM

Report:

The bike ran OK, but not great. Had it been real dusty I may have tolerated the HP loss, but the rain came and dust died down. Out came the foam and on came the power. Eventhough it was very coarse foam, it still sucked power. Actually my filter didn't get 1/4 as dirty as last year.

• BruceWA

Posted May 25, 2003 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to report back. Next time give the Filter Skins a try. Would have been nice to try them both on the same ride, back to back.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.