Adding fork oil to an 08 WR450F

4 replies to this topic
  • Moscow Roost

Posted February 27, 2010 - 09:04 AM

I am wondering if it is possible to add fork oil via a syringe through the bleeder hole on my 08 WR450F (if so, a few tips would be awesome). I can take the fork apart if necessary, but would prefer not to. I just need to get the front riding a little higher in the stroke, and am looking for the quickest and easiest way to do so (I want to ride this afternoon). Thanks much.:thumbsup:

• JDLowrance

Posted February 27, 2010 - 04:28 PM

Adding fork oil is not going to make your front end ride higher in the stroke. It'll only help with bottoming in the lower third of the stroke. If bottoming is your issue definitely add an ounce to each leg. You can do this easily by unscrewing the fork cap (one at a time) while forks are still on bike and pour in the oil. Lossen the top clamp pinch bolts, unscrew cap, add oil, screw in cap and tighten pinch bolts to 15lb/ft, repeat on other side. Depending on clearance you might have to remove bars. Just remove top bar mount clamp and move bars out of the way (no need to remove cables or anything else.

To get your bike to ride higher in the stroke you are gonna have to add stiffer fork springs. Stock is 0.46kg/mm which is good up to about a 180lb rider. How much do you weigh?

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zukrider

Posted February 28, 2010 - 07:53 AM

If you haven't change the stock fork oil I would do that first. I changed the oil in my 07 about six months ago and it was more like KY jelly than fork oil. Took forever to get it out but was well worth it. Fill it up with new and add as needed after that.

• Moscow Roost

Posted March 02, 2010 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I added 20ml of oil to the forks and the shock feels great. As JD said, it didn't raise the forks, but did help with bottoming.

• wondermuscle

Posted March 02, 2010 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I added 20ml of oil to the forks and the shock feels great. As JD said, it didn't raise the forks, but did help with bottoming.

If the forks feel overly harsh on square edge bumps I would try taking out some oil and adding spring spacers. It will add a bit of preload to the springs and raise your ride height. It is only one step more difficult than pulling the cap off. You only need two 19mm wrenches.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.