Cold Starting???

2 replies to this topic
  • mikew

Posted December 10, 2000 - 06:36 PM

I have trouble starting my bike when it is really cold out 30 and below. I've tried giving it 2 blips, sometimes not, before kicking. I push my kick starter until it hits compression mid way thru the stoke. then pull in the lever, push it about an inch farther, then release to the top, then I try to kick start it. Nothing! I try this for a while, when I smell gas I change the plug. sometimes after a while it will start sometimes it won't. Once it is warm it runs fine and starts on the first kick but I start different. When the compression is felt at the very top I pull in the lever press the starter down about 1/4 the way then release and kick it starts. Is the way I start my bike is incorrect. I didn't have this problem in the warm weather. Is there jetting changes I need to do? any help would be great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted December 10, 2000 - 08:57 PM

This is my suggestion. When you get ready to start the engine for the first time on a chilly day, pull in your compression release lever just enough to release compression and kick the engine through about 15 strokes of the kick starter.....don't touch the throttle while doing this. Pause for about 20 seconds and then try to start the engine with the choke knob pulled out. If the engine doesn't fire within 3 kicks, then a jetting change "might" be called for. I've noticed that this problem seems to affect a large number of 426 owners while others, like me, have never had a problem at all. hope you get it figured out.

• sbohanon

Posted December 11, 2000 - 02:37 AM

i have to give my 400 as many as (6) blips
to get started. sometimes up tp 3-4 times.
carb has never been apart for cleaning and its due. could be a factor.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.