Scared '09's don't turn!

6 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikesonny

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:13 PM

I am really tempted to go out and get an '09 450, cause there are such good deals to be had but i have heard horror stories that the bikes won't corner! I currently ride an '05 YZ 250 and am happy with it's handling, would the 09 YZ 450 be comparible? How about a different triple clamp, w/ the deals out there I could probably pick up the triple clamp and still be money ahead on an '10. What do you guys think?

• BBrown626

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:42 PM

If you can swing it, get the '10. You won't regret it. Yes, the few thousand saved can get you a lot of suspension work and you might be able to get the '09 to turn well, but it will never handle like a '10 unless you cut it apart, rebuild the frame, add EFI and change the motor.

• honda907

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:48 PM

I am really tempted to go out and get an '09 450, cause there are such good deals to be had but i have heard horror stories that the bikes won't corner! I currently ride an '05 YZ 250 and am happy with it's handling, would the 09 YZ 450 be comparible? How about a different triple clamp, w/ the deals out there I could probably pick up the triple clamp and still be money ahead on an '10. What do you guys think?

I have an '09 and you will not regret the bike. It runs great. I may get another as I still haven't received my 2010 yet. I rode a 2010 and it isn't much different than the 09. With a pipe on my 09, it was as fast as a 2010 that I rode, although the 2010 was box stock. I couldn't tell much difference in handling. Or power for that matter. I'm older and I just want the newest Yamaha, but my wife thinks the new 2010 isn't worth the money over what we can get an 09 for.
Just my 2 cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:53 PM

The 09 and 08 are very, very good turning bikes. I don't think the yz 250 vs yz450f comparison is an apples-to-apples especially if you are basing a purchase based on just turning. The 4 stroke's engine inertia may make a two stroke rider just converting over think the 4 stroke is a heavy, slower turning bike. And of course the added weight of the 450 vs 250 two stroke will magnify this.

You should try to test ride an 08/09, set up the suspension and riding position for you and spend a few hours getting used to it. Understandably this may not be realistic, though.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:46 PM

I have always been told when they reworked the chassis in 08 it made a huge difference in handling. Langston claimed it is what helped him win the Outdoor title and US Open in '07. I know he is paid to say that but there has to be something to it when he mentioned just the chassis re-work specifically.

I also think it comes down to riding style. I don't have any problems making my 08 go where I want it to.

• rparobi

Posted February 27, 2010 - 01:40 AM

I have a new 09 and it turns fine for me on a mx track , haven't even had to adjust the sag .

• BubZ

Posted February 27, 2010 - 01:38 PM

I bought a new 09 450 and due to the weather haven't had a chance to ride it or break it in until today.

All I can say is WOW! The bike handles great. I have an 06 KTM 300 that my son took from me, that bike was about perfect but he outgrew his CR85 and after riding my 300 I knew it was gone...

I too have heard about the turning but found my 09 to be just fine. The motor starts first kick and it is plenty woods friendly to me. I lugged it around to see how it would behave... and that is exactly what it did, behave. Run it out and it fly's.

Couldn't ask for more. So don't be afraid to pull the plug on an 09 450, I think you will love it :thumbsup: :ride:

BubZ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.