Is a yz450f too much for a 15year old?

60 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted February 27, 2010 - 02:39 PM

The main thing you will learn from riding a 125 2 stroke is that they suck compared to the 250 2 stroke, the 250 4 or the 450 4. They are harder than he11 to ride. Get a 250 4 and find happiness.

Graduate to the 450 when you find you need more power than the 250 4 can deliver (which shouldn't be anytime too soon). When you're ready for a 450 (in 1 to 2 years), it will be newer, better and/or cheaper than what you can get right now.

So you are saying riding a 125 is for someone to ride that isn't lazy? Your darn right a 125 is hard to ride, thats the point.

• SparksXR426

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:14 PM

So you are saying riding a 125 is for someone to ride that isn't lazy? Your darn right a 125 is hard to ride, thats the point.

Whats the point in getting a hard to ride bike? Any underpowered bike teaches you about cornering speed and the OP already has one. Character building aside the only way to learn is to ride and crash and that can be done on pretty much anything. I doubt anybody on here was really "ready" for there next machine and you sometimes just have to go with it. Some guys could hurt themselves on a recliner. If you're having fun on your bike then thats pretty much the whole point.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:26 PM

I couln't disagree more

Can if you like, but my son learned to be so aggressive on the 250F that a CRF450 rider that he had just thrashed asked me if I didn't think 14 was kind of young for him to be on a 426. When I told him it was a 250 he was stunned.

IMO, it was the best bike I could possibly have put him on, and it's the reason he's so damn good today. A 125 would have been a total waste of time for him.

• kawasakimx8

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:36 PM

u will learn ALOT more on a 250, trust me, i went fro ma crf230F, rode my brothers 07 crf250f, then i bought a 07 kx250f, loved it to death, sold it and bought a 09 kx250f and love it even more. im still learning more things, u will always learn and the 250 is the best, then when u get a 450, u wil know all u need to know, and u will tear it up, but!! u will learn some on a 450 too AFTER u get off the 250. the 250 teaches u corner speed, and for me, im aggresive and it taught me how to be. theres plenty of power in any 250 most kid will not use all of in the first place. go for the 250 man, look at the pro, their atill on 250s casue therers so much to learn and get used too yet.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:37 PM

Whats the point in getting a hard to ride bike? Any underpowered bike teaches you about cornering speed and the OP already has one. Character building aside the only way to learn is to ride and crash and that can be done on pretty much anything. I doubt anybody on here was really "ready" for there next machine and you sometimes just have to go with it. Some guys could hurt themselves on a recliner. If you're having fun on your bike then thats pretty much the whole point.

You obviously don't get my point and have never ridden a 125 2stroke. They aren't that hard to ride. . .

also I don't ride with guys that used to ride XR's. . .

• FinchFan194

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:40 PM

Can if you like, but my son learned to be so aggressive on the 250F that a CRF450 rider that he had just thrashed asked me if I didn't think 14 was kind of young for him to be on a 426. When I told him it was a 250 he was stunned.

IMO, it was the best bike I could possibly have put him on, and it's the reason he's so damn good today. A 125 would have been a total waste of time for him.

No one I know that races MX wants to put their kid straight from a super-mini to a 250f. Even top coaches agree that most kids will benefit from one racing season on a 125. I guess your son is the exception to the general rule. Bottom line is its a lot harder to go fast on a MX track on a 2 stroke rather than a 4 stroke. I am sure you can agree with me there, if not I guess we can agree to disagree.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted February 27, 2010 - 05:00 PM

I just got done riding my 125 in the woods and had no problems zinging past 250 T's, F's and 450's. I weigh 200 lbs and occasionally get holeshots against 450's in motocross. I love it! But it wears me down. My next bike will be a 450. Get a 250f.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2010 - 07:59 PM

No one I know that races MX wants to put their kid straight from a super-mini to a 250f. Even top coaches agree that most kids will benefit from one racing season on a 125.

That's fine. I categorically disagree with that philosophy. It's the same advice I got and rejected when it was time for my son to move up.

The task of managing the power band is a constant, major distraction that interferes with learning corner speed and other elements of handling at speed that actually have some application to riding a big bike. Power management can be learned on a 250F just as well without getting in the way of enjoying the ride. Both bikes are in the same class, so why handicap yourself.

When I learned, the little bikes, other than the 90's that the kids rode, were 250's, and 2-strokes that size had just become viable. A 14-15 year-old would spend a year or so on one, and move up to the real bikes, which were at least 500cc, and weighed no less than 280 pounds. None of them had more than 4" of suspension travel, either. Somehow or other, we survived that and learned. It may be that the current crop of kids isn't capable of the same kinds of things, but that's not the case with the ones I know, and certainly not Junior.

A 250F, at least the YZ, is also far more forgiving than a pinger, and the bike saved his butt many more times than once.

If a 125 suits you, fine. Personally, I find them completely unenjoyable.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 27, 2010 - 10:21 PM

That's fine. I categorically disagree with that philosophy. It's the same advice I got and rejected when it was time for my son to move up.

The task of managing the power band is a constant, major distraction that interferes with learning corner speed and other elements of handling at speed that actually have some application to riding a big bike. Power management can be learned on a 250F just as well without getting in the way of enjoying the ride. Both bikes are in the same class, so why handicap yourself.

When I learned, the little bikes, other than the 90's that the kids rode, were 250's, and 2-strokes that size had just become viable. A 14-15 year-old would spend a year or so on one, and move up to the real bikes, which were at least 500cc, and weighed no less than 280 pounds. None of them had more than 4" of suspension travel, either. Somehow or other, we survived that and learned. It may be that the current crop of kids isn't capable of the same kinds of things, but that's not the case with the ones I know, and certainly not Junior.

A 250F, at least the YZ, is also far more forgiving than a pinger, and the bike saved his butt many more times than once.

If a 125 suits you, fine. Personally, I find them completely unenjoyable.

I think you missed my point all together. . .:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:08 PM

Then we disagree again.

Cheers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted March 01, 2010 - 03:49 AM

Interesting thread. Interesting views to the "125" debate. After spending my whole amature carreer racing 125's one forever bad taste comes to my mind "clutch abuse" and "efficiently maintaining peak rpm's" . 125's were no doubt frustrating bikes to efficiently pilot, however I feel that 125's did have an advantage for me which was simply efficient coodination between man and engine. You don't need this elevated disciplin with a 250F powerplant. New riders whom never had the displeasure of piloting a 125 in the amature or expert ranks have the clear advantage of a very forgiving wide torque curve, allowing said riders to focus on man and chassis. Bottom line, I darn wish I had a 250F when I was 17....

• Solid State

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:06 PM

From a ttr125 to 450?? Roller skates to a rocket ship IMO.

Hope dad has good medical insurance.

• djmamayek

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:11 PM

250 Two Stroke will be the cheapest to maintain. Your buddy is an idiot, you will not be replacing cylinders... A piston and rings will run you less than $200.00, slap 'em in and go. Unless you shatter a skirt or something there should not really be any reason to replace the cylinder.

You sound like a beginner, and a 450 will probably last a very long time for you, but the power and weight might be overwhelming. If you can tolerate the power of a 250 two stroke, I'd say go that route.

• Yamiryder

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:16 PM

i went from a drz 125 to a 250f and that jump was plenty big enough. if you get a 450 and ride it in the woods, more than likely you'll be overheating the bike. plus on a 250f, you'll learn more because you have less power than a 450. my advice, get the 250f.

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 01, 2010 - 04:37 PM

The single biggest learning lesson I received from owning a 125 was I'll NEVER own one of those again.:lol: That's just my opinion, no offense to anyone.:thumbsup: Basically the way I rode it was wide open with alot of clutch use. Everything I learned on the 125 was only goo if you ride a 125. Riding a 4 stroke requires a different style. Go with the 250f and that will give you the basic fundamentals for your next step, THE BIG FO FIDDY.:ride:

• FinchFan194

Posted March 01, 2010 - 07:26 PM

I still think a 125 will teach this young kid an aggressive riding style that he will not learn on a bike that is "easier" to ride.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2010 - 08:14 PM

250F's, even though slightly more powerful as a group than 125 2T's, are in the same class, have about the same power, and have to be ridden aggressively for the same reason the little two-strokes do, overall lack of power relative to the capabilities of the chassis, and relative to the larger bikes recreational riders encounter all the time. They teach the exact same thing without subjecting the student to the handicap of having to deal with the foul manners of the high strung two stroke engine in a 125.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:09 PM

I thought you were done argueing?:thumbsup:

• katoom08

Posted March 02, 2010 - 04:25 PM

My son was on a TTR 125 and I thought rather than taking the step to a 125 2 stroke I would move him right to a 250F and he would be good for a few years. This turned out to be a costly mistake. He was lazy shifting on the 4 stroke and not nearly agressive enough. His clutch skills and corner speed were not improving. After the first season I sold it and put him on a KTM 144 2 stroke. It turned out to be an excellent move. His clutch skills and cornering both vastly improved. He spent 2 seasons riding the 144. At the end of the season last year I told him I would buy him whatever MX bike he wanted and after much consideration he chose a 250 2 stroke. He loves the 2 stroke power. I know they are not for everyone but he loves it and I am happy due to the simplicity and low maintenance costs. My recommendation would be to go with a KTM 150. The reviews are stellar and they have more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke. If you can ride this bike you can win against the 250s. Move to a 450 in a couple of years.

Edited by katoom08, March 02, 2010 - 04:52 PM.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 02, 2010 - 08:08 PM

My son was on a TTR 125 and I thought rather than taking the step to a 125 2 stroke I would move him right to a 250F and he would be good for a few years. This turned out to be a costly mistake. He was lazy shifting on the 4 stroke and not nearly agressive enough. His clutch skills and corner speed were not improving. After the first season I sold it and put him on a KTM 144 2 stroke. It turned out to be an excellent move. His clutch skills and cornering both vastly improved. He spent 2 seasons riding the 144. At the end of the season last year I told him I would buy him whatever MX bike he wanted and after much consideration he chose a 250 2 stroke. He loves the 2 stroke power. I know they are not for everyone but he loves it and I am happy due to the simplicity and low maintenance costs. My recommendation would be to go with a KTM 150. The reviews are stellar and they have more horsepower than a 250 4 stroke. If you can ride this bike you can win against the 250s. Move to a 450 in a couple of years.

Finally someone with a brain replies to the thread! Not referring to you Gray your situation was different because you are the YZf genious.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.