Is a yz450f too much for a 15year old?

60 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hello!

Im looking into getting a new bike, like i said i am 15 years old and im about 175lbs. I had recently come off a ttr125 but i did have some experience with a 250f, which my buddy let me ride. But i also was taking a look at a yz250 2 stroke, but my buddy said i will be going to through cylinders, pistons, etc, etc.

But I was looking at the 450s, but how hard are they to ride in the woods without a flywheel weight and stuff like that? Or should i just stick with a 250f instead? I have ridden all 3 of these bikes ( yz250f, yz250, and yz450f

But i have loved them all and especially the 450, you just got to love that power!

But tell me what you guys think and you know if you dont mind giving me some tips and stuff like that.

Im just looking for a awesome bike, but thats gona be reliable for me.

thanks guys!!
god bless!

• schrode

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:15 PM

go with a 250 first. you'll learn faster if you're not fighting the machine all the time. ttr 125 to a 450 is a huge jump. there are a few intermediate steps you should take first.

• Brawg

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:23 PM

I feel ya man, if your folks want you on a bike with that much power get it! You'll either learn or become a statistic...Both of which we'll be reading about.

• BBrown626

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:31 PM

It is all about skill and personal preference, not age or weight. No matter what bike you buy, the maintenance is pricey. A 2-stroke is generally cheaper and easier to maintain, but it depends on how well you maintain the bike and if you can do the work yourself. If you are on a tight budget consider a YZ125.

• JandJ07

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:42 PM

The size of the bize is dependant on your ability. I agree you should probably start with the 250. If you are able to handle the extra power and weight you should probably get a WR instead of a YZ...much better gears for woods riding plus the flywheel weight is already there, not to mention more fuel, head light, tail light, and odometer.

• YamaLink

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:58 PM

As others have mentioned the 250 two stroke will be the easiest and cheapest, in general, to maintain.

From what little we know from the post I'd recommend a 250 two stroke, yz, years 2006 and newer; basically the same from 06 to now, but the 06 vs 05 suspension is worth the search for an 06.

If you get a yz450f I recommend the 08 or 09.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:48 PM

I say put him on a YZ125. There are things he will learn riding a 125 that no other bike can teach you.

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2010 - 10:07 PM

I say put him on a YZ125. There are things he will learn riding a 125 that no other bike can teach you.

...and that you'll never need to know again if you move to a big bike.

If you aren't ready for a 450 now, go with a YZ250F. The 125 is a waste of time, in my opinion, and an annoying amount of concentration has to be dedicated to keeping the engine in the right gear. My son learned more in the first two months of riding his 250F than he had in the previous year and a half on little two strokes.

• Family Man

Posted February 27, 2010 - 02:40 AM

Either, a yz250 two stroke or a yz450f is probabley Ideal for you. 2006 and above on both. Try to see if you can ride one of each again and then decide. Both are dependable if you maintain them. The two stroke is way cheaper to rebuild. The ttr 125 is way under powered compared to any of the bikes you listed. A 125 2t does require you to be in the right gear, it wont go if in the wrong one. It does teach you how important it is to shift. A skill that is beneficial to the 450 rider looking to maximize speed.

• rcdude33

Posted February 27, 2010 - 08:21 AM

But im looking for the cheapest. My buddy said that i will be going through cylinderson the yz250 alot, and they cost like $400. And plus a topend will cost like $200 on top of that. But i like to rev two strokes out but not near where they are about to blow up. But im going to be riding tight woods, some tracks, pretty much everything. But also i love how the four strokes get out of the corners where you dont have to keep reving the throttle. But on a 250 2 stroke do you have to rev it in the corners? Like a 125?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • willybslow

Posted February 27, 2010 - 08:32 AM

it depends on your preference. as far as cylinders i have never bought a cylinder for a 2 stroke. mix your oil right check you rings at least once or twice a yr (depending on hrs ridden) should have no prob. i know guys who get 2 maybe more yrs out of piston clean and lube meticulously and the yz 250 could last you for many years. 1 thing to keep in mind is 4 stroke rebuild is 2-4 thousand 2stroke is 1400 max

• SparksXR426

Posted February 27, 2010 - 10:57 AM

But im looking for the cheapest.

You just answered your own question right there. A YZ250 is cheaper to keep and still competitive. I prefer 4 stroke power so I opt for the 450. If you find out the bike isnt right for you sell it and get something else. Its a learning curve to figure out what suits you. Alot of guys Ive seen lately would be better off on 81 XR80s like the one I learned on even though they look like factory riders.:thumbsup:

• FinchFan194

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:14 AM

...and that you'll never need to know again if you move to a big bike.

If you aren't ready for a 450 now, go with a YZ250F. The 125 is a waste of time, in my opinion, and an annoying amount of concentration has to be dedicated to keeping the engine in the right gear. My son learned more in the first two months of riding his 250F than he had in the previous year and a half on little two strokes.

I couln't disagree more 125's teach kids how to be aggressive and greatly improve corner speed. It also teaches clutch use among many other things. I am not saying put the kid on one for 3 years or anything but I think they should all have a go on one before moving to a 250f. I am talking more about MX though which I suspect is not the OP's main type of riding.

• MOTOPHILE

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:32 AM

" Is a yz450f too much for a 15 year old?"

If you have to ask then definitely yes. Coming off of a TTR 125 you will LOVE a 250f. Of course I am a 2 stroke guy so I would also recommend a 125 smoker. You will KNOW when it is time to move up to a 450f. RIDE ON! :thumbsup:

• rcdude33

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:39 AM

But is there a really good chance for a four stroke to have catastophic failure in the top end? What about valves? SHould i be worried about them? Im still not sure if i should go 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Im so used to 4 but like i said, im more worred about like top ends going and having to spend loads of cash on them. I like 450s, because i did hear they are more reliable but idk if i could handle it. I can handle one, but it wears me out.

• Broncolingus

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:43 AM

250 dude...

• MOTOPHILE

Posted February 27, 2010 - 11:55 AM

You are not going to be pushing any bike to its limits any time soon so I think the 250f/450f issue is not worth considering. I love 2 strokes and I loved them when I was 15. But unfortunately not too many manufactures produce them. Might only be one to choose from by the time you get older. Get a 250f that is not too dogged out and maintain it well. Yah stuff is going to happen but that is just how it is. I see a yz250f in your future. Least risk involved and more than you will need for a long time, possibly ever. Less worrying and more enjoying!

• saccityfire

Posted February 27, 2010 - 12:09 PM

The main thing you will learn from riding a 125 2 stroke is that they suck compared to the 250 2 stroke, the 250 4 or the 450 4. They are harder than he11 to ride. Get a 250 4 and find happiness.

Graduate to the 450 when you find you need more power than the 250 4 can deliver (which shouldn't be anytime too soon). When you're ready for a 450 (in 1 to 2 years), it will be newer, better and/or cheaper than what you can get right now.

• Brawg

Posted February 27, 2010 - 01:09 PM

But im looking for the cheapest. My buddy said that i will be going through cylinderson the yz250 alot, and they cost like $400. And plus a topend will cost like $200 on top of that. But i like to rev two strokes out but not near where they are about to blow up. But im going to be riding tight woods, some tracks, pretty much everything. But also i love how the four strokes get out of the corners where you dont have to keep reving the throttle. But on a 250 2 stroke do you have to rev it in the corners? Like a 125?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your buddy is not as informed as the guys you see posting on this thread...From the sounds of your situation, it would probably behoove the longevity of your riding and the preservation of funding thereof to ride a two stroke. Not to mention, it will help you gain the skills that two strokes aid developing.

• BDubb106

Posted February 27, 2010 - 01:25 PM

If you can ride a 125 smoker in the woods fast enough to blow the top end you should be pro by now, let alone a 250 lmao... seriously though these motors can take a serious beating! Your not gonna go through top ends like he says you are, unless your completely neglegent to the bike! Change air filter, oil, regrease, and throw a new top end in it from time to time and youll be fine. The 4 stroke will be much easier to ride fast right away but a 2 stroke will teach you to be much better and more aggressive rider (corner speed and clutch/throttle control) being the main areas of focus. Not to mention if you cant do the maint. on a two stroke price wise how are you going to afford a 4 stroke? A well maintained two stroke is the cheapest route to go when talking reg maint. Comming off that ttr even a 125 smoker will feel like a rocket comming out of corners, as well as everywhere else you ride it! They have plenty of motor for any type of riding until you have the skill, experience and speed to move to a 250 2t/450, as they can have uncontrollable power/ torque for someone just moving to a big bike. Im 220lbs and still faster on my 125 than half my friends on thier 450s, not to mention they are more fun than any bike I have ever ridden.:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.