New owner, few questions

7 replies to this topic
  • The Hill Boys

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Picked up a 2006 WR450F today. Only had 40 very light miles on it. Dang near showroom condition. However, it's been sitting for the last two years (indoors). Same gas.

I've been lurking around here for a while and am up on all the needed mods. Since I'll be swapping brass, I'll get the old gas out and get the carb, etc cleaned out. I'm going to change out the oil, check the valves, etc. I was wondering about the coolant. Should I go ahead and flush or is what's in there ok? Rubber on the tires seems to be fine (not dry rotted). Any other things that I should look for/take care of in my initial go through!

Look forward to hanging around here. I own several others Yamaha's (YZ125, YZ250, FZ1) and proud to have a thumper back in the coral!

• CanadianWR450

Posted February 27, 2010 - 04:18 AM

For all it would take/cost to do, I'd flush the cooling system just as a precaution.
I'd also check/re-grease all bearing like the steering head, swing arm, etc.

Once it's ready to fire up, I'd go for a lil spin and then look for fork seal weeping, and inspect the chain (O- Rings).

We found a old bike in a shed one time (Think it might have been there about 5 years), and dug it out. pushed it maybe 20 feet, and all the o-rings tore they were so old and dry....might just have been a poor quality chain?

• eu001939

Posted February 28, 2010 - 01:28 AM

Clean out the fuel cock and replace the fuel hoses as well. They might have gum in it from the fuel drying out.

• The Hill Boys

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:26 AM

Thanks guys. It will be Friday before I get the AIS removal kit in so I'm going to wait until next Saturday to give her a once over. I hope all goes well and then on Sunday, I'll see what she can do!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Hill Boys

Posted March 06, 2010 - 04:54 PM

Holy crap!!!! I didn't realize it was going to be major surgery to get the carb off. I never really did get it off. I left the throttle cables attached because I really wasn't sure how to take them off. I ended up having to take the subframe and exhaust/header off to get the carb to slide out to where I could work on it.

I started with the gray wire mod. It looks like someone had already done it. It was clipped. I wasn't sure, but I went ahead and removed the prong from the housing too. Went to take the pee shooter out of the exhaust and found that then entire end pipe was gone. Oh well, so much for a stock bike.

I did remove the AIS and used the GYTR kit to seal things up. I replaced the throttle stop with the one in the kit. They look just about the same size, so not sure if that mod had already been done or the difference in length was really only an 1/16-1/8th of an inch.

Took the bowl off the carb. OMG. I've heard about gas gumming up but had never really seen it before. The entire bowl of the carb (float, jets, etc) were caked in dried peeling gas. Same with the bottom of the tank. After hours of carb cleaner, tooth brush, paper towls, scrub pads, I was able to get everything back to new. I went ahead and picked up a JD jet kit. I decided to go with the following setup:
165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet. I also bought an MSR fuel screw.

While I had things apart, I added a Battery Tender trickle charge pigtail to the battery. Put everything back together (ended up with a removable zip tie that I forgot to put on). Put some fresh gas in, turned the fuel on and waited for a few minutes. No leaks! Opened up the choke and pressed the button. Wouldn't turn over. Damn. Tried again...this time had a little rumble. Third time, she fired right up. Let her idle for a bit on choke, then pushed the choke in and she died. Fired right back up and adjusted the idle screw a bit. After a few more minutes, took her for a spin down the street. Ran smooth. Only able to get her into third in the neighborhood. I turned a corner in third and was very please with the amount of low end. Back at the house, I was messing around in the cul-de-sac. Was very please out how effortlessly the front wheel come off the ground! I'm really going to enjoy this bike.

Well, it took a lot longer to get to this point than I hoped. I still need to change the oil/filter and flush the coolant. I probably should check the valves too, but that will probably have to wait a few weeks.

• tek9tim

Posted March 06, 2010 - 05:56 PM

Stock throttle stop in the WR is quite a bit longer than the YZ stop. It's been a few years since I ground mine down, but I'd say a good 3/8 to 1/2". Definitely change the coolant. Liquid sitting in contact with different types of metals for long periods of time isn't a good thing. Sounds like a good bike though. Now to put some miles on it...

• Cirus

Posted March 14, 2010 - 05:23 AM

Holy crap!!!! I didn't realize it was going to be major surgery to get the carb off. I never really did get it off. I left the throttle cables attached because I really wasn't sure how to take them off. I ended up having to take the subframe and exhaust/header off to get the carb to slide out to where I could work on it.

You think thats bad try an aluminum frame. I've got an 06 and the carb will pull out from the left side without taking anything off. Just remove the hot start and throttle cables and you can throw it up on a bench and work on it.

• The Hill Boys

Posted March 14, 2010 - 06:31 AM

You think thats bad try an aluminum frame. I've got an 06 and the carb will pull out from the left side without taking anything off. Just remove the hot start and throttle cables and you can throw it up on a bench and work on it.

I wasn't sure how to safely do that. I took the cover off and could see where the cable ends were. From that point it was unclear to me what should be removed and how, so I opted to let it hang. What are the correct steps for removing the cables? Thanks in advance!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.