hitting the burms

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 10, 2000 - 04:14 PM

I was looking for some hints , when coming into a burm , what is the best way on the 426 i have been stalling it alot while trying to come out of the burms i am pretty sure i am slowing down to much , is it ok to lock the back brakes up while coming into it?

• Boit

Posted December 10, 2000 - 08:38 PM

This one takes some practice. Most thumper riders try not to lock up the back tire if possible because it leads to the stalling problem you describe. Since I run my idle really low to take advantage of the engine braking, I really have to have my technique down to keep from stalling. From my experience, this bike responds best if you do your braking ahead of the turn and then carry speed and accelerate by rolling the throttle on instead of snapping it open. Fanning the clutch in every corner is asking for clutch problems. Maybe some other riders will give their input on this one.

• Scott_F

Posted December 10, 2000 - 09:14 PM

NEVER brake slide your 426! But if you insist, you MUST pull in the clutch.

These bikes are guaranteed to stall if you hit the rear brake in a turn, with the throttle closed, and the rpms near idle. The key is to not touch the rear brake under those conditions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 12, 2000 - 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Scott F:
NEVER brake slide your 426! But if you insist, you MUST pull in the clutch.

These bikes are guaranteed to stall if you hit the rear brake in a turn, with the throttle closed, and the rpms near idle. The key is to not touch the rear brake under those conditions.

thanks for the feed back guys a few people have told me i am still riding my thumper like i was on a 2 stroke they said it takes sometimes 6 months to get used to it , but i am slowly getting there i think

• motoman393

Posted December 12, 2000 - 05:17 PM

I have been riding thumpers for 3 yrs and this way works best for me! On most turns (a 180 degrees angle back the other way i go in second gear charging railing the outside of the berm slightly dragging the front brake (to plant the front tire in the dirt).. then when i approach the berm i let off a split second for engine braking to slow me then i slowly roll on the throttle to a point just above idle (so it wont stall) and keep it there half way through then I roll it on slowly exiting the berm and when i get squared up down a straight or a 80 ft triple I wack the throttle wide open and hang on for dear life! I have found this method to be the fastest way around some berms which makes YZ 250 2 smokes get out of the way cause "da roost is a flyin" This way or may not work for you!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 14, 2000 - 06:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by motoman393:
[B]I have been riding thumpers for 3 yrs and this way works best for me! On most turns (a 180 degrees angle back the other way i go in second gear charging railing the outside of the berm slightly dragging the front brake (to plant the front tire in the dirt).. then when i approach the berm i let off a split second for engine braking to slow me then i slowly roll on the throttle to a point just above idle (so it wont stall) and keep it there half way through then I roll it on slowly exiting the berm and when i get squared up down a straight or a 80 ft triple I wack the throttle wide open and hang on for dear life! I have found this method to be the fastest way around some berms which makes YZ 250 2 smokes get out of the way cause "da roost is a flyin" This way or may not work for you!

Garrett

thanks for the pionters , i will try these helpful hints next time i ride , i noticed you siad 80 foot triple wow !!!! i just started getting air i can barely do a baby double and that spooks me you got gutts man ....

• motoman393

Posted December 14, 2000 - 07:09 PM

once you get use the the four stroke power you will be doing big jumps too! Its all in the throttle! Anyways Have Fun!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.