Can I swap my 03 WR450 frame with an 06+?

8 replies to this topic
  • Flat Spot

Posted February 26, 2010 - 05:52 PM

I have an 03 WR450, but no title to it. I would like to register the bike for the street and found a deal on an 06 WR450 frame with all the paper work. I was thinking of buying the frame and swapping out as much as I can with the 03 to it. I realize that I would / might have to buy new body parts, but that's ok.

Am I dreaming that I could do possibly do this? Will the engine swap out? What about the swing arm, subframe and suspension?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

• BlackSheep

Posted February 27, 2010 - 05:21 PM

As far as I know the only differences are the 06 tank,shrouds, possibly seat? are different. The newer forks were better(bigger) and the speedo. The engine is a direct swap.

• stev0

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:27 AM

You mean from Steel to Alu frame.

No you cant.

The oil is kept in the frame in the steel frame.

Unless im missing something?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Unless im missing something?

Nope, your not :thumbsup:

On the 250f's the swap is easy...

On the 450f's it would take a lot of work

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamiryder

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:54 AM

isn't the 06 still a steel frame? if it is, i would think it would work ok but i don't know for sure. if it's an aluminum frame, then it would be a tuff swap.

• gteclipse00

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:58 AM

In o6 the wr's still had a steel frame

• flrglock

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:54 AM

flat spot- sent you a PM regarding an 03 Street titled frame I have.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:36 AM

it should all fit with the exception of the gas tank and shrouds. Your triple trees and forks will bolt right up. You might as well get the large tank since you have to change it out anyways. This could be a weekend job with you and a buddy.

• stev0

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:09 AM

The 06 motor wont work in the 07 chassis. The oil sump is totally different.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.