Renthal or sidewinder

11 replies to this topic
  • sleekfreak

Posted December 10, 2000 - 05:04 AM

Rode my 01426 yesterday hard ( after breakin) since purchase 3 days ago and this bike rips. Does the chain on these things stretch easy or what, maybe it is just me but I got serious slack after just 7 hours. Thinking about going ahead and putting a better set up on kind of courious what you guys use and maybe a ltlle inside info on the two above products?

• MikeOK

Posted December 10, 2000 - 09:26 AM

7 hours- that's pretty good for the stocker. I put a Renthal works chain on the stock sprockets and I can tell you I don't like this setup, seems like the chain doesn't like the stock sprockets. Next one for me will be an O-ring chain and I'm going up one tooth on the back...

Mike

• Hick

Posted December 11, 2000 - 06:52 AM

I use both Sidewinder and Renthal with good results. My advice would be to wait on a Sidewinder until you’ve settled on a size. I have a 49 tooth Sidewinder but I’ve been running a 47 Renthal (but I don’t moto).

My Sidewinder has outlasted a Regina o-ring and a countershaft sprocket and it still looks great, not hooked at all. I’ve always thought that a good chain will make your sprockets last longer so I try to match new sprockets with a new chain, by the time my 47 Renthal is nice and hooked the chain will likely be stretched out.

• Buck

Posted December 11, 2000 - 08:31 AM

Sidewinder is JUNK!!!! I toasted a new set of chan and sprockets in just three races. I haven't tried their new Stainless sprockets or chain but with the way their product lasted before I'm not very fired up to give them any more of my money. I have raced 15 Hare Scrambles, 8 Enduros, and 4 or 5 Motocrosses on one set of AFAM o-ring chain and steel sprockets and they still look great.

• MrMXer

Posted December 11, 2000 - 11:42 AM

I've been running a sidewinder matched sprocket set with their stainless rear and O-ring chain. I've run around 50 - 55 Gallons thru the scoot and the stainless rear mushroomed slightly at first and then seemed to stop. The chain I had to adjust 4 times. Everything still seems to be in good condition. I am happy with the combo so far.

• scottzx7rr

Posted December 11, 2000 - 11:45 AM

I run the Sidewinder Rear Stainless Steel Sprocket and Factory Concepts Steel Front(cheap at my local shop) and a O-Ring Chain. The Sidewinder Stainless is heavier than most and since I race harescrambles weight is not a big concern for me as in longevity. The stainless went through the whole summer without any wear. I personally swear by them. I won't buy the chain or front sprocket seeing how I think that they are extremely over priced.

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • F-Pilot

Posted December 11, 2000 - 04:39 PM

I have always had great performance with Renthal products, as far as chains go the stocker is crap, I run an DID X-Ring. They run with as little drag as non o-rings (ok, maybe not a big issue on a 426) without the need for messy chain lubes.

• sleekfreak

Posted December 11, 2000 - 05:13 PM

Apprecite the info people. I guess I will go with a full Renthal setup. I heard you could not hurt the sidewinder but I guess that "ain't"true. Probably stick with the 49/14 sprockets and go with a 0-ring chain. I did like the way the sidewinder looked but if you can tear it up and at the same time gain a 11/2 pound might as well save the money. What other combo's would you guys suggest.

• Clark_Mason

Posted December 11, 2000 - 06:41 PM

I run Renthal sprockets and the DID X-ring chain. The X-ring chain is by far the best chain I have ever used. It hardly streaches at all!! I'v run Regina, Tabuski, Sidewinder and other supposidly quality "O" ring chains and none are even close to the DID X-ring chains for durability and long life. Make sure you get the DID "X"-ring it costs more but lasts and lasts and lasts.

Clark

• Tim

Posted December 11, 2000 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys,
I got suckered into the Sidewinder stainless rear and stanless chain. Only have 2 rides on it, so I can't say much, but I can comment on the price.... WOW. It better last longer than two sets of normal priced chain/sprockets or I am taking the things back. Luckily, the sidewinder "factory"/headquarters is near home. I was assured that these things will last, an update will come after a few more rides (looks like spring) after 15" of snow today....

• socalmxer

Posted December 11, 2000 - 07:45 PM

AFAM sprockets and DID X-ring chain. The only way to go. Over 6 months of riding MX between 1 & 2 times a week.

• JBM

Posted December 12, 2000 - 08:48 AM

I have been running the non o-ring DID ERT chain for about 8 months, once a week riding, and it is still in great shape. For a non o-ring chain, you can't go wrong with this one. Based on these results, I would agree with Clark and others regarding the DID X-ring chain, it has to last a long, long time. It will probably be my next chain.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.