3 replies to this topic
  • shaun_heb

Posted February 24, 2010 - 07:24 PM

I broke my rear hub last weekend after a jump. I ordered a new hub and planned on relacing the wheel myself. While I have it a part I was going to take my front wheel apart and get both wheels and hubs powder coated. My question is can I reuse the spokes or should I order new ones?

• wondermuscle

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:58 AM

I usually buy new ones. Buchanan is what I use, never broken one...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JandJ07

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:01 AM

If you are going to have the wheel disassembled already...replace the spokes.

• GCannon

Posted February 25, 2010 - 11:15 AM

You can but you will need to be very careful when disassembling the wheel not to damage the nipples if the threads are corroded.
start by putting a drop of penetrating oil on each spoke nipple the night before.
Then use heat on the stuck nipples so you don't break anything.
Once apart wash and dry spokes and nipples.
before reassembly on used or new spokes dip the spoke thread in water proof grease before you install it into the new wheel.

This will make retorqueing (which is why you rim failed in the first place) more effective some months after the initial wheel build:thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.