stripped tread on drain plug

17 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted February 24, 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hey guys,

So, i managed to strip the tread on my oil pan/cases on the ride side where the brake lever is.
The Plug is fine, but the inside of the cases is not, what can I do? :thumbsup:

Thx much

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2010 - 08:28 PM

Is this an '06 or later? If so, you'll need to pull the engine at least part way out and install a Time-Sert.

• ktm200xc 457racer

Posted February 24, 2010 - 08:37 PM

ok, i recently did that to my brand new ktm.. stupid aluminuim cases.. and how, you can either re-tap it, or even better heli-coil it. i took it to a shop to do, to pay 50$ for a 2 minute job.. just buy a heli-coil kit and you should be ready to ruuuuuuumble:banana::thumbsup:

• Se77vN

Posted February 24, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Is this an '06 or later? If so, you'll need to pull the engine at least part way out and install a Time-Sert.

DOH!!! I have an 08...and have been dreading this. My DP is fine for now, but I change my oil pretty often and as I hear these things are just a matter of time.

• czechalien

Posted February 25, 2010 - 01:30 PM

could i just re-tap it to M12? right now it's M10-1.25 or is the wall of the opening too thin to do that.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2010 - 01:46 PM

You could do that, but I would tap it to 7/16" instead. That's roughly 11mm.

Either way, the engine has to be raised up in the frame far enough to access the hole.

• norcal_hoss

Posted February 25, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Who makes a quality magnetic plug? Anyone know of a good one. the cheap ones get ruined fast.

• DPW

Posted February 25, 2010 - 06:17 PM

Who makes a quality magnetic plug? Anyone know of a good one. the cheap ones get ruined fast.

Yamaha GYTR Drain Plug

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 25, 2010 - 07:31 PM

could i just re-tap it to M12? right now it's M10-1.25 or is the wall of the opening too thin to do that.

I strpped the threads out of mine on my 06 450. When I stripped mine you could pull the threads right out of the hole. I had to pull the motor all the way off and then I ordered a time-sert metric kit and all I can say is that the time sert is the way to go. It was real easy to use but the only thing I hated about the time-sert kit was that they never gave you nothing to hold the drill bit with or any tool to hold the tap so you could turn it.

I had to use a wrench and sometimes a socket extension so I could turn the bit and then the tap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz454

Posted February 25, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Go down to a napa auto store,get the next size up self tapping oil pan bolt put it in Done.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:19 PM

Go down to a napa auto store,get the next size up self tapping oil pan bolt put it in Done.

Gorilla fix.

No offense.

• yz-dwg

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:30 PM

I would be worried about the shavings, have you tried this?. It sounds like an easy fix but I would flush the case somehow.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 26, 2010 - 06:00 PM

When I did mine I just made a turn at a time and then baked it out and cleaned the tap. Did the same thing when I drilled the hole with the bit.

Didnt get any shavings in the case (may just a few) and I got thoes out with a small magnet I had that was super glued to the end of a radio antenna.

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:09 PM

... I got thoes out with a small magnet I had that was super glued to the end of a radio antenna.

Think about that one, Captain...

• JandJ07

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:25 PM

maybe it was a special magnet???

• ibAdam

Posted June 28, 2010 - 12:36 PM

I too just stripped the case threads for the oil plug on the bottom of my YZ450F case. Mine is a 2006 that I don't ride but twice a year. I don't like the oil just sitting in the bike all year so I change the oil probably 2-3 times more than I ride it.

Well my question is regarding the auto part store's self tapping drain plug. If I go this route can I install it without lifting the engine out of the frame? Or can the engine stay completely bolted in while this is done?

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2010 - 12:49 PM

It could probably stay in the frame, but I very much recommend against using one.

• 09speeddemon

Posted June 28, 2010 - 04:41 PM

Helli coil it or time-sert it like gray said. I have learned a long time ago "Do it right the first time" and you will have no problems later down the road when your riding and that cheap self tapping oil plug falls out and you waste a good motor. Just my .02

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.