1st oil change was very funky

17 replies to this topic
  • sleekfreak

Posted December 08, 2000 - 05:25 AM

Hey people whats going on. Normally ride street bikes but finally fell into temptation and bought a brand new 01 yz426. Killer ride ( not my first dirt just been awhile). Anyway question: 1: rode for a 1 hr like the manuel said and changed the oil. This was probably the most funky oil I have ever seen. Is the first few oil changes always that dirty. I mean it looked like nasty. SO I was going to repeat the process again and this time go ahead and change the filter. 2. One more question how in the world do you get the frame hose off to get the screen out, I got the skid plate off and the hose clamp off and the frame oil bolt but could not get the hose off?

• Hick

Posted December 08, 2000 - 07:20 AM

Sleek,

What do you mean by funky? I wouldn’t be alarmed if you found some metal in there, most of that probably came from the inside of the oil reservoir in the frame. You should definitely change, or at least clean, your oil filter with each oil change, especially on a new bike.

You must remove the fitting that the oil supply hose attaches to (just below the reservoir drain bolt), the oil screen is attached to the other side of this fitting (the part that sits inside the reservoir). Mine was really stuck, I needed an air impact to get it off. I think it is a 24 mm. Of course you have to get the hose off first to get a socket on there but you may be able to use a wrench. The hose should come off easily, try twisting it a bit (but don’t tear it).

Don’t rely on the dipstick to refill your bike. Just drain the motor and reservoir completely, clean the filter and add 1.8 quarts (or 1.7 liters, whatever). The dipstick will only give an accurate reading after the bike has been run for a bit.

Incidentally this is a great place to get answers to any and all other questions you’re bound to have about your new scoot. Have fun!

• sleekfreak

Posted December 08, 2000 - 08:42 AM

Hick thanks for the response. By funky I mean the stuff looks like it came out of a creek. I have worked on cars and street bikes for years but never worked on the dirt. SOme people have said it is normal the first few changes to be grimmy but this was dirty. Imagine car oil after 10,000 miles it was black. I thought maybe some type of weird oil was used. I guess it was from sitting on the floor maybe I dont know.
Question:
The hose that attaches to the frame in front of bike is in a object that looks like a nut ( right above the hose clamp)painted the same color as the frame that is removable?

• Hick

Posted December 08, 2000 - 12:21 PM

Originally posted by sleekfreak:
Question:
The hose that attaches to the frame in front of bike is in a object that looks like a nut ( right above the hose clamp)painted the same color as the frame that is removable?

Yes, this is the fitting you have to remove to clean the screen that is mentioned in the manual. The paint may be what made mine such a bear to get off. But I recommend you remove and clean this screen with the first few oil changes, I’m pretty sure it’s a 24 mm.

As for your funky oil that is weird, my motor oil, even after much use, always looks more or less like it looked when I put it in but I can’t remember what that first oil change looked like. Maybe clutch material is the cause of the discoloration.

• sleekfreak

Posted December 08, 2000 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info guy. I am riding again tomorrow I was planning on repeating the breakin period with a little more force on the throttle. If that color of oil comes out again I know something is screwed up. Got the 24 mm ready, brand new oil filter just in case, and four quarts of yama lube. I am ready for action as long as the the bike is ok. Going to ride an hour change and clean everything and ride again if all is good. :)

• flyinguitars

Posted December 08, 2000 - 12:57 PM

Yea,
My oil was really black the 1st change. It wasnt as dark the 2nd change and lighter the 3rd. Beware of over tourquing the crankcase drain bolt, I rounded the head of the drain bolt during the 3rd oil change and it was almost a disaster. Check it out at http://hometown.aol....page/photo.html
Oh yea, that oil screen assembly at the bottom of the resevoir is a bitch to get loose also, I use an open end wrench and tap it a few times with a small mallet.
Mike

• sleekfreak

Posted December 08, 2000 - 01:43 PM

F/G
LMAO!!!!! God that must have sucked. Hope to miss that one. Glad to see someone else had nasty oil I was begining to really wonder if the dealer didn't put the bike together with used oil. Oh well looking forward to really catching some speed, air and digging in deep tomorrow. Be safe. :)

[This message has been edited by sleekfreak (edited 12-08-2000).]

• jaybird67k

Posted December 08, 2000 - 05:16 PM

A 15/16 wrench works just fine on that strainer nut.

Jason

• MikeOK

Posted December 08, 2000 - 06:01 PM

My first oil change was ugly but all that bad. I dod notice lots of metal fleckies the first 2 or 3 changes. I've cleaned the fram screen a couplt imes but never found as much as a fleck there yet...

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted December 08, 2000 - 07:33 PM

I have about 25-30 hours on my 01' 426! The first 3-4 oil changes it looked nasty! Had lots of flakes in the oil filter the first couple of times! dont worry about it mine looks fine now! You will feel it get faster as you ride it too like it loosens up! Dont forget to tighten your spokes and check your sprocket bolts! Also check your engine bolts they may rattle loose in break in! Be sure to loctite your fenders, exhaust etc! And most important ENJOY YOUR BIKE!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• sleekfreak

Posted December 09, 2000 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the info and support guys. Time to rip it up. be safe.

• sm

Posted December 11, 2000 - 10:37 PM

Well - I hope that your gear boxes are not beginning to break !!!

Mine broke the gearbox one time... Yamaha fixed it and now I still get metal flakes on my used oil...

(S.M.)

• mikeolichney

Posted December 11, 2000 - 11:23 AM

I had a 99 and now an 01. I changed my oil after 1 ride and it looked clean on both bikes. I don't use the clutch in turns much though, and only use the bike on the track. Maybe heavy clutch use causes that. I also installed a magnetic drain plug. It catches quite a bit of particulate and is cheap insurance, especially for 4 strokes. The SS oil filter by Scotts is also a good product related to oil changes. Also, I had a hell of a time with my oil strainer screen bolt on my 99. I bought a deep dish impact socket and the airgun zipped it right off.

• flyinguitars

Posted December 11, 2000 - 08:27 PM

Take a look at my filter after the 3rd oil change: http://hometown.aol....e/personal.html
I hope this is normal. I use the clutch only to shift ( seems to always be in the "powerband"). Also, one other point, IMHO I cant see any difference between the stock filter that I clean during every oil change and a brand new Yamaha replacement filter. I think its fine to use a cleaned stocker as long as you give it a good visual inspection and change the oil every few hours.
just my 4 bucks worth,
Mike

• motoman393

Posted December 12, 2000 - 05:03 AM

my filter looked just like that the first couple of times!!! Now it is clean when i change the oil!

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• sm

Posted December 12, 2000 - 03:06 PM

Originally posted by flyinguitars:
Take a look at my filter after the 3rd oil change: http://hometown.aol....e/personal.html
I hope this is normal. I use the clutch only to shift ( seems to always be in the "powerband"). Also, one other point, IMHO I cant see any difference between the stock filter that I clean during every oil change and a brand new Yamaha replacement filter. I think its fine to use a cleaned stocker as long as you give it a good visual inspection and change the oil every few hours.
just my 4 bucks worth,
Mike

It looks like exactly my extracted filters...

(S.M.)

• sleekfreak

Posted December 12, 2000 - 03:47 PM

I bought a few filters and am going to go ahead and just replace the filters for the first several changes. Once the oil and filter start becoming cleaner I will re-use them. I got the money might as well not take the chance. I hate to say it but I am glad other people have similar situations. It must be normal, according to the service tech. it is but I trust other operators way before any dealer service dept.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 15, 2000 - 01:22 PM

Your first oil change was probably black due to molybdenum disulfide, a lubricant normally used in assembly lubes. Yamaha service manuals call for this when assembling the transmission. I had rebuilt a '99 and the first oil change after the rebuild was very black.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.