New to Big 4's, Need some help

8 replies to this topic
  • cordesr1

Posted February 24, 2010 - 11:08 AM

I've ridden a lot in the past but not ridden at all through college. I recently picked up a 03' 450F. i use to ride a Honda XR250 then to a 400. I am still just a trail rider but need to know what needs to be done to a 450 to make it trail ready. I know i need the spark arrester and hand guards but anything else would greatly be appreciated.

i know the tank is small 1.8 gallons. what kind of fuel range is expected on this. The trails where i ride go form single track to open ORV Route (large enough to get a jeep down)

Im a trail rider that just got a MX bike, like i said anything will be a help

Thank you

Edited by cordesr1, February 25, 2010 - 03:35 PM.

• off_road_4_me

Posted February 24, 2010 - 11:11 AM

depending on your weight, softer springs maybe in order, a suspension revalve would be ideal.
Gearing may or not be good, ride it and find out
Kickstand would be nice, pro moto billet makes a good unit, and they would also be able to take care of the spark arrestor, although if you have the money the fmf powerbomb+ fmf q is a good combo.

depending on your style, a rekluse auto clutch might be a nice addition as well.

• Ryan426

Posted February 24, 2010 - 12:10 PM

I have the pro moto kick stand, IMS 3 gallon tank, running a 45/14 sprockets, Maxxis Desert IT tires. My riding buddy who has an 04 CRF 450 get's about 40-50 miles on his 1.8 tank while I still have 1/4 to almost 1/2 gal. of fuel left. I would say get the IMS tank and at least a 47 in the rear.

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 24, 2010 - 04:59 PM

I've ridden a lot in the past but not ridden at all through college. I recently picked up a 03' 450F. i use to ride a Honda XR250 then to a 400. I am still just a trail rider but need to know what needs to be done to a 450 to make it trail ready. I know i need the spark arrester and hand guards but anything else would greatly be appreciated.

i know the tank is small 1.8 gallons. what kind of fuel range is expected on this. The trails where i ride go form single track to open ORV Route (large enough to get a jeep down)

Im a trail rider that just got a MX bike, like i said anything will be a help

Thank you

Those '03 YZ450's packed a BRUTAL punch ! Too much power too quick back in the day.... you definately need to mellow out the power delivery to be "trail happy". First and foremost I would suggest a flywheel weight (your '03 might even already have one ). Maybe even think about swapping to the WR450F exhaust cam..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cordesr1

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:55 PM

The Bike has a FMF Titanium 4 exhaust with full the power bomb header.

Again, thanks for all the help, the more the better

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:47 AM

The Bike has a FMF Titanium 4 exhaust with full the power bomb header.

the more the better

Not if you are a "trail rider" like you are claiming....

Here's my opinion: "It's far easier to push a mellow engine hard in the woods, than it is to tame a beast of an engine in the same situation". Everyone always want's more power, power, power when most everyone doesn't use a stock engines' full power capabilities to begin with... but you do whatever you are comfortable with.....

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have the pro moto kick stand, IMS 3 gallon tank, running a 45/14 sprockets, Maxxis Desert IT tires. My riding buddy who has an 04 CRF 450 get's about 40-50 miles on his 1.8 tank while I still have 1/4 to almost 1/2 gal. of fuel left. I would say get the IMS tank and at least a 47 in the rear.

sorry for kinda hijacking this thread, but I tried PM'ing you but it would not let me..

Ryan426 how do you like the Pro Moto kickstand ? Are they beefy enough to allow kickstarting a big bore bike while on the kickstand ? I have a KX500 that I blast around with out on the ice. My issue is getting secure footing to kick my KX500 over is a real PIA when I am out in the middle of a frozen lake... thanks!

• off_road_4_me

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:28 AM

Not if you are a "trail rider" like you are claiming....

Here's my opinion: "It's far easier to push a mellow engine hard in the woods, than it is to tame a beast of an engine in the same situation". Everyone always want's more power, power, power when most everyone doesn't use a stock engines' full power capabilities to begin with... but you do whatever you are comfortable with.....

if it affects the engine like my fmf system did (Powerbomb+powercoreIV with quiet insert) its not really increasing power, its just moving it around, my bike has a ton of low and mid power now while retaining the top it did before, just basically smoothed it out a ton, excellent mod, but to me it wouldnt have been the 500 some odd dollars i would have had to pay brand new.

• cordesr1

Posted February 25, 2010 - 03:37 PM

The bike came with the whole FMF system and i don't really have the money to chance it now. It sounds good but it is a little loud.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.