03 wr450 timing?

2 replies to this topic
  • Dennis S

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hi, I'm looking for info on hoe to change my wr timing to yz timing. I've seen posts in the past on this subject. I did a search but nothing turned up. Can someone direct me to a post on this or where I can get the info.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chris1987

Posted February 26, 2010 - 01:28 PM

i believe you need to do the grey wire mod which changes the map to a yz map, i did it on my 450 but tbh did not notice a differece (could probably do with an aftermarket exhaust)

heres the link on what to do:

• tcmII

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:23 PM

not sure how you searched and missed, this has been a hot topic since the '98 WR came out. On the pre-'03 you could re-time the exhaust cam by rotating the cam one tooth.

On '03 and later the best way is to swap the cam for YZ. '03 and later have auto decompression build into the cam. The timing for the auto compression changes if you re-time the cam. Others have written about this; some say you can retime the cam and still kick start, others say can't e-start or kick start.

Good news is if you decide to go to YZ timing you will be able to use the timing marks normally vs. having to "eye it up" on the early models.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.