Summer vacation in New Mexico

6 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted May 20, 2003 - 04:35 PM

Me and my family are planning a week of riding in the Cloud Croft area and I was wondering if any of you locals have any gps tracks for the area.
Is there a campground with hook-ups close to the trails that we can ride out of so we don't have to trailer our bikes everyday?
Last but not least are there any permits we have to have to ride?
Thanks for the info..............

• huskyrider

Posted May 21, 2003 - 02:43 PM

If you have any luck, and its not to much trouble, please let me know what you find out about this. I went skiing there many years ago and I think it was Lincoln Nat'l forest. I'd like to take the kids on a motorcycling vacation in the mountains but don't want to drive to Colorado to do it.
kelly@atlantispoolco.com
Thanks, Kelly

• prairie_chicken

Posted May 21, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Husky....

Go to Colorado- you won't regret it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted May 22, 2003 - 12:26 PM

Me and my family are planning a week of riding in the Cloud Croft area and I was wondering if any of you locals have any gps tracks for the area.
Is there a campground with hook-ups close to the trails that we can ride out of so we don't have to trailer our bikes everyday?
Last but not least are there any permits we have to have to ride?
Thanks for the info..............

You won't need any permits, but you should have a USFS sparky installed on your bike.

Call the USFS office in Ruidoso, NM and get a Lincoln Natl. Forest Trail Map. Most of the good trail heads are right there, inside of 5 miles so. of Cloudcroft (one word, not two) on the road to Sunspot. You could camp at the RV park in town and probably get away with riding your bikes to the trail head, then again you might get a ticket. :)

You may also consider calling the bike store there in Alamogordo...

Hope this helps.

Ruidoso USFS: 505-257-4095

• timvv51

Posted May 22, 2003 - 05:15 PM

I agree with Prarie that Colorado is better but as close as you are to CLOUDCROFT you must try it. There are some terrific trails and variety too, The Mile High Enduro is held there in Sept. I have found the town to be real friendly and the SunSpot observatory is just a few miles away and can be ridden to on great trails and then take an hour or so break and check out the observatory. Cloudcroft is a great family place that is enviably close to you. TIM

• endurodog

Posted May 22, 2003 - 06:10 PM

I agree with Tim on this one. I have been told that back in the day they had one kick ass National enduro in Cloudcroft. I like the area but have only raced there, never play rode. Some of the enduro trails there are great but I have no idea how to get to most of them, other than following race arrows.

• mxcowboy

Posted May 23, 2003 - 09:38 AM

We usally go to Colorado and love it but this year we decided to try something different........
I was wondering if there is a campground that we can ride out of in Cloudcroft so we don't have to trailer the bikes everyday.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.