new to the wr world

8 replies to this topic
  • T-Doshi9

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:54 AM

i just got a 98 wr400. it has the bbk on it and several upgrades. i have 3 questions.

1. the stupid decomp lever is TINY. i rode a buddy's 426 and the lever was useable and you could move it. any ideas on this?

2. should i just get the wr450 exhaust cam and don't worry about question 1?

3. do they make a rekluse that works for these?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:28 AM

2. should i just get the wr450 exhaust cam and don't worry about question 1?

Yes, get either the YZ or WR 450 03-05 Exhaust Cam :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted February 23, 2010 - 02:24 PM

I recommend the Hot Cams auto-decomp equipped cam for your model. The 450 cam chains are a bit different (and therefore the cam gear teeth are different) and don't match up "perfectly" to your model. It will work, but it's not ideal. The Hot Cams will be a perfect match.....

• ASternad

Posted February 23, 2010 - 06:40 PM

3. do they make a rekluse that works for these?

Doesn't look like it. Call em to be sure.
Otherwise you can talk with Rev-Loc or EFM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted February 24, 2010 - 02:56 PM

I recommend the Hot Cams auto-decomp equipped cam for your model. The 450 cam chains are a bit different (and therefore the cam gear teeth are different) and don't match up "perfectly" to your model. It will work, but it's not ideal. The Hot Cams will be a perfect match.....

Unless you port the head, don't get the hotcams intake cam. Not worth the $$. The exhaust cam does just fine.

• Butta

Posted February 24, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Unless you port the head, don't get the hotcams intake cam. Not worth the $$. The exhaust cam does just fine.

Good call!! The exhaust cam is the only one you need for the easy start mod....

• T-Doshi9

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:49 AM

ok.. i was reading around and kinda thought this was what i needed to do. but wanted to ask for sure. thanks guys. i think i will try to find an exhaust cam now. one more question... i have read some places that if i go with the yz cam that the timming is diff. is that the only diff? performance diff?

• T-Doshi9

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:50 AM

Doesn't look like it. Call em to be sure.
Otherwise you can talk with Rev-Loc or EFM.

i know they don't have them on the site. but as with my kx250 same thing but you could use the 250f and shorten the shaft just a bit and it works. anyone use anything like that?

• redhurricane

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:26 AM

About time you defected....

Save the money on the cam, learn the routine on starting. Just my humble opinion.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.