Got a 08 Wr450.. Couple questions- Key & JD

8 replies to this topic
  • xrberg

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Just picked up an 08 Wr450 and have been doing a little research .

I am going to License it for the road and wondered what you guys do for
a key? Can a key be added or hidden kill switch.. too many thieves out there.

2. Jetting... is the JD kit the only way to go on jetting? I am having a hell of a time starting and keeping it running.
I am at 4500' and ride 4500 to 9000 and pretty sure I need to rejet since this bike just came form Los Angeles to SLC- Utah Area.

opinions appreciated and other suggetions appreciated. Seems like a perfect ride after being on a Honda 650r for a few years.

• o2golfpar

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:04 AM

This web site has helped me out imensly, thanks to all. How frustrating getting a new bike and it not running as expected. Been there:banghead: however this site has been great!!!:thumbsup::ride:

Regarding the Key, I do not have first hand knowledge about this in the north woods of WI but one suggestion is to just by a paddle lock and run it through the break roter like the Harley owners do. Cheaper and it works.

Jetting, these bikes are so restricted because of the Green sticker that re-jetting is a must, to get them started, Idling, running and performing correctly. your frustration will subside once done.

three options to consider:
Call or drop an email to JD and tell them what your elevation is, they will give you the correct input, and then sell them to you.

Read the the sticky Performance index page and see what they are running at your elevations I use the sticky all the time.

Yamaha sells the GYTR WR AIS Removal Kit http://www.yamaha-mo...8/0/detail.aspx
It comes with all you need to de-restrict your WR, new jets and throttle screw and great directions. it costs $46.00 and can get it from ThumperTalk. :thumbsup:This is what i have done, however based on your elevation, you might want to run a leaner main and pilot jet.

Let us know how it turns out.
See you on the trails

• CORider63

Posted February 23, 2010 - 10:06 AM

• desertlover

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:06 PM

I'm running 45, 165 jetting and seems to work well here. I'm dual sported as well, but I usually only connect trails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OM48

Posted March 01, 2012 - 05:40 AM

For a key try, I got one that plugs right in to my KTM and I think they make one for Yamaha.

• Stealth13

Posted March 01, 2012 - 07:13 AM

I am interested in the key thing as well. I'm worried about putting on a wheel lock and having them still try and take it and break the bike

• n16ht5

Posted March 02, 2012 - 11:13 AM

just tap into the kill switch line and run a toggle to inside the airbox or somewhere hidden

I use a disc brake lock

• Leardriver

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:32 AM

A 158 main for 5,000 feet is right on. A 155 at 7-8,000.

Those bikes are not finicky. They will run ok with the main jet 3 sizes off. They just run BETTER with it right on. A jet is $6.

Buy a kit if you want, but these forums have all the info you need to jet them accurately.

• Eightball64

Posted March 03, 2012 - 01:29 PM

Have heard of people putting TTR key/switch on WR's. I have on 07 and plan on trying it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.