How Many 2010 YZ450F's in the US

32 replies to this topic
  • Jeepentj

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:00 PM

I stopped by the local dealership this weekend to see if I could get a peek at the 2010 YZ450F in person. Sadly, they didn't have one but told me Yamaha was importing only 500 of them for 2010, which I thought seemed really, really low. They were trying to get me to put a deposit on one (and I was just looking!) so I'm pretty sure it was just a sales tactic but was curious if anybody knew anything about this.

So anyway, the question is did Yamaha only import 500 450F's in the US? And when do you think the prices will return to normal (as in no longer at or above MSRP)? Obviously, the easy answer is when the supply outweighs demand but I'm curious to know when availability will no longer be an issue (guesses anyway).

• BKRacing

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:09 PM

I think 500 units for sale in the US is the minimum required by the AMA to make a motorcycle qualify for compitition. Maybe the dealers are just playing that up to make them seem more desireable. Seems way low to me though.

• freerider_australia

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:13 PM

there seem to be more of these in australia and dont seem to have as many problems getting them i cant beleave that only 500 into the usa being there is a lot more people in the usa

• SNO-PRO

Posted February 23, 2010 - 04:42 AM

I think that 500 is bs but I am just speculating. I got mine in november for below msrp so there is hope if your dealer is good

• mediumfast

Posted February 23, 2010 - 07:18 PM

I have no idea how many will be imported in 2010 but I think it's more than 500. I got mine last month and paid $7550. Everyone isn't charging over MSRP. You have to shop around.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:32 PM

there seem to be more of these in australia and dont seem to have as many problems getting them i cant beleave that only 500 into the usa being there is a lot more people in the usa

Unit for Unit the Australian market is bigger than the US.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:33 PM

I think 500 units for sale in the US is the minimum required by the AMA to make a motorcycle qualify for compitition. Maybe the dealers are just playing that up to make them seem more desireable. Seems way low to me though.

Its called "homogolation"(sp?) I think the number is a lot closer to 100 units though.

• mediumfast

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:54 PM

There has got to be more than 100 in the US right now. Including me I've seen 5 at my local track in Eastern Washington which is by no means a motocross hotspot. The homologation rule doesn't mean anything anyway. If it did Stewart wouldn't have been able to ride it at the US Open. There for sure weren't 100 in the US then....

• Beanb1

Posted February 24, 2010 - 05:37 PM

Let see, I just picked up unit 3949 today. That suggest that there are at least 4000 in the states now.

• mediumfast

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:26 PM

Let see, I just picked up unit 3949 today. That suggest that there are at least 4000 in the states now.

I have #3655 but I don't know if that number applies to US imports or overall production. I would think it's overall production. Maybe someone who's worked at a dealership can chime in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moto278

Posted February 24, 2010 - 06:44 PM

where is this number sayin what production number ur bike is? i got my 10 in the garage nd am just curious.

• Beanb1

Posted February 24, 2010 - 07:39 PM

the vin number of your bike is on the right side of the steering stem. The first numbers represent the production number for the bike, IE. 0003949 and 0000689 for an earlier bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:01 PM

There has got to be more than 100 in the US right now. Including me I've seen 5 at my local track in Eastern Washington which is by no means a motocross hotspot. The homologation rule doesn't mean anything anyway. If it did Stewart wouldn't have been able to ride it at the US Open. There for sure weren't 100 in the US then....

The US Open is different. . .

• psmith85

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:06 PM

I agree with FinchFan394. The Open is different. I also think the homologation number is 500 units.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:12 PM

I am asking someone right now should know soon but I think it is 200 or less. Maybe Gray knows?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2010 - 09:27 PM

The last six of the VIN is the sequential production unit number, starting with 000001.

That's what I know.

• BBrown626

Posted February 24, 2010 - 11:00 PM

I believe they have to have the number of bikes (400 or 500?) in the country by the end of the calendar year in which the season ends. If they didn't have the rule the factory teams would be running prototypes or highly modified bikes and claim they thought they were going to mass manufacture them. The rule helps level the playing field so the privateer has a chance.

• adamdf

Posted February 25, 2010 - 05:48 AM

The long and short version of this story is that you should shop around, if the dealer that is telling you there is only 500 (truth is he may not even know, could be assuming, or at worst Bsing), and still can still offer you a fair price, then who cares? If hes jacking it up, whether there are 500 or not, then just shop else where, you will find one.

• RCannon

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:02 AM

In a terrible economic year, does it make good sense to limit production on the one machine in the line-up that is selling? Or do you limit the number sold to stretch this out over a few years???

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:19 AM

In a terrible economic year, does it make good sense to limit production on the one machine in the line-up that is selling?

No. You would only limit it if increasing production beyond a certain level would increase your costs too much.

That's why I don't believe the conspiracy theory about limiting the production deliberately.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.