03 WR450 Won't start

3 replies to this topic
  • Flat Spot

Posted February 22, 2010 - 07:48 PM

I bought a used 03 WR450 this winter and finally got around to taking it out for a spin, but the bike won't start. I'm thinking the problem is the carb is clogged, so I'm about to pull it apart. I think the parts are all OEM and the bike has over 600 hours on it. Should I consider buying a new carb for the bike, or do a tear down, clean and replace the parts with JD Jetting and R&D float bowl and Accelerator pump?

Is the new bowl and pump worth the price?

• tek9tim

Posted February 23, 2010 - 04:43 AM

My buddy's 07 had the same sort of problem last spring. It was just a stuck float valve. Had some corrosion hanging it up in there. Pulled the carb, yarded the float needle out, cleaned it up, bike fired right up. Good way to make sure it's a fuel problem is to try starting fluid. If it only runs for a second or two, you aren't getting fuel.

Also, if it's cold out, the electric start won't run fast enough to fire up my WR due to the lean condition created by the cold. If it's real cold, (down around zero) I have to use a shot of starter fluid to richen things up enough for it to start.

Definitely reccomend some accelerator pump modifications. Dunno about bowls, I know the companies talk like they're the best thing you can do to your bike, but of course they have an intrest in selling them. Haven't heard from people who've put one on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted February 23, 2010 - 10:15 PM

I bought a used 03 WR450 this winter and finally got around to taking it out for a spin, but the bike won't start. I'm thinking the problem is the carb is clogged, so I'm about to pull it apart. I think the parts are all OEM and the bike has over 600 hours on it. Should I consider buying a new carb for the bike, or do a tear down, clean and replace the parts with JD Jetting and R&D float bowl and Accelerator pump?

Is the new bowl and pump worth the price?

It sounds like just a thorough cleaning. New carb is about 500-600. As you are cleaning all the jets, inspect them thoroughly and bust out the manual. The manual is very detailed what to look for.

• Flat Spot

Posted February 24, 2010 - 03:01 AM

Manual? I don't need no stink-en manual! Just kidding.

I cleaned it out last night, and will be putting the bike back together again this weekend. I'm still curious to know if the R&D bowl and Accelerator Pump are worth the investment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.