Power Now

14 replies to this topic
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted May 20, 2003 - 08:54 AM

On the eve of my decision to purchase a power now for my bikes. anyone out there still think this thing is hype?

Thanks,

Bonzai :)

• BrandonW

Posted May 20, 2003 - 09:00 AM

Better yet, anybody out there who has TRIED the PN still think it is hype?

I am sure you can find an "anti" out there, but I bet they ain't tried it!

Kinda like a steering stabilizer, those who have used them won't go without. I won't be taking mine out anytime soon!

And we will be seeing you Powering Now Pretty Soon!

• sabin

Posted May 20, 2003 - 10:38 AM

I use it. It REALY makes difference for good!!!

• ddialogue

Posted May 20, 2003 - 10:50 AM

I've got a friend that swears by his and that's why I purchased one. I haven't installed it yet though. :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 20, 2003 - 12:37 PM

What I'm looking for is meat at the bottom end (Since that's where I spend most of my Harescrambles time in the twisting turning trails.) I want to be able to rip up 150-200 ft hill climbs with power to spare (Which is why I was putting a 12oz flywheel weight on my YZ when the Crank Broke)... Hopefully My bike will be ready to rock-n-roll again this Sunday for a summer series.

But anyway that's what I'm looking for in particular.

Thanks,

Bill :)

• DesertChris

Posted May 20, 2003 - 12:50 PM

Go ahead and get it Kaze. I race hare scrambles too and the home made one helped in the areas you want it to. :)

• Poway Rider

Posted May 20, 2003 - 01:11 PM

I'm a Newbie and do not know what "Power Now" is and where you can get it. Please help!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • live_to_ride

Posted May 20, 2003 - 01:17 PM

What I'm looking for is meat at the bottom end (Since that's where I spend most of my Harescrambles time in the twisting turning trails.) I want to be able to rip up 150-200 ft hill climbs with power to spare (Which is why I was putting a 12oz flywheel weight on my YZ when the Crank Broke)... Hopefully My bike will be ready to rock-n-roll again this Sunday for a summer series.

But anyway that's what I'm looking for in particular.

Thanks,

Bill :)

The power now only effects part throttle power. It has no affect at full throttle. If you climb hills at part throttle, then you will probably notice a difference. :D

Chris

• Poway Rider

Posted May 20, 2003 - 01:35 PM

Please let me know what Power Now is and where I can get it. Thanks

• DesertChris

Posted May 20, 2003 - 01:51 PM

Hey Chris, goto to www.dspmoto.com then do a search on this forum on power now.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted May 20, 2003 - 02:00 PM

I fell for the hype, bought it, installed it, was it worth the $100.00, I dont think so. It did help throttle response at 1/4-1/2 but did little at below this range.I too was looking for a more snappy response off idle for hill climbs. as they say just my 2 cents

• michaeltrundle

Posted May 20, 2003 - 05:03 PM

I made the jamesnow/powernow for my 2000 wr 400 and definately noticed a difference in bottom end grunt.
I have since done a 99wr400, a 2001 wr250 and a drz400. All of my mates that own these bikes have been very impressed with the improved bottom end power. They simply cant believe that a piece of 1mm thick alluminium could make so much difference. I dont know whether I would pay $180 australian to have one but it definately makes a noticeable difference and was worth the few hours in my shed tinkering.
I have found it most noticeable on big narly rocky hill situations when you get knocked off line and would previously have to change down a gear and then try to control wheelspin and get moving again. With the powernow fitted I find myself staying in the higher gear and useing the new found torque to pull from idle and keep up my momentum with much less fuss. My 400 feels like it has XR600 bottom end power with no noticeable difference to top end power. I wouldn't ride a WR without one again.
Hope this helps you Yamakaze. I'm sure you will feel the difference. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted May 20, 2003 - 05:22 PM

Mine is working great sitting on my workbench. :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 21, 2003 - 06:29 AM

It almost sounds as if my 12 oz flywheel weight installation is going to do the same thing as it pertains to being able to motor around in a higher gear without stalling. Which is why I was installing it when the crank broke. I will get my YZ back this Sunday, just in time for one last practice session before the summer HS series starts.

Maybe I should hold off until next Monday and see if the Flywheel takes care of the problem....

Thanks Guys,,,

Bonzai :)

• gottaroost

Posted May 22, 2003 - 06:59 PM

Much less wear and tear on your crank just doing the JamesNow...about 30 minutes altogether. That and getting rid of those carb clamp spacers made a really big difference for me...humble opinion of course.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.