Am I priced too high?

18 replies to this topic
  • tacotory

Posted February 21, 2010 - 06:56 PM

I have an '05 450 in great shape for sale and have it priced at $3500 and haven't been getting any takers. The bike has minimal use and has all the free mods done and a JD kit installed.

Any input?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Justonegear

Posted February 21, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Price seems fair although I'm not up on your market. There is so much out there right now it's a buyers market like I've never seen before. Same old thing have it in tip top shape and week by week lower the price until somebody pops for it. Good Luck

• ohioryder

Posted February 21, 2010 - 09:25 PM

Like he said^^^^^ It's a bad time to be a seller. Price seems very high to me when I just bought a new 08 wr450 in spring of 08 for under $5000 OTD. And bought new 08 yz250f for son last summer for under $4100 OTD. I think you may need to drop to $2500 to start getting interest.

• YamaLink

Posted February 22, 2010 - 07:01 AM

That bike should be popular in Oregon. Check other similar bikes on your local Craigslist.
And the season of buying hasn't hit hard. Some bike riders are just putting away their snowmobiles/snowboards/skis.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted February 22, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Does seem a bit on the high end, I think $3000 would get you many more takers. Also, I have not seen your ad but keep in mind that a lot has to do with putting up a great ad. List all your mods such as it looks like you have a fuel filter and temperature gauge? Are those new(er) tires? Write about how you babied it, changed the oil, kept it clean, etc. For instance your side plates are incredibly clean and white! Where are the usual scratch marks? Do you have any extra parts? Get a can of PJ1 touchup paint and paint over the worn spots on the frame. Put some effort into making a great ad to inspire confidence that the buyer is getting a great bike at a great price. It never ceases to amaze me when people throw up one line ads with the most common mistakes of not listing the price or year of the bike and then they wonder why their bike isn't selling (not that this is your case).

BTW, where is the skid plate?

Edited by mtnman0712, February 22, 2010 - 08:14 AM.

• 2in2out

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Similar bikes in Reno, Nv are priced in your market, but not moving either. I nearly pulled trigger on a 06 with many aftermarkets for $2900. That bike rolled on CL for 2 wks prior to being sold. I think cash flow is the thing getting in the way of buyers.

• l_campionero

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:49 AM

The price isn't too high; the market is soft right now.
Two years ago, I sold a nearly perfect YZ426F on eBay. I started the listing at $1000, and thought for a while that would be all I'd get. I finally got $1480, which was less than I wanted, but it's gone now, and I spent the money.
Don't hang onto it hoping to get a better price; sell it for what you can get, or you may wind up keeping it forever.

• gsa102

Posted February 22, 2010 - 09:55 AM

I just bought a clean used 07 WR450F with aftermarket suspension and Free Mods for $3800 from a dealer.

I passed on an 05 WR450F for $2600 from an individual because of crappy weather the day I was to go look at it. I figured to get a bike comparable to the 07 it would need $600 in suspension upgrades and I banked on a $300 engine rebuild because of unknown hours. For $300 more I chose the newer bike and skipped the trip. Discounted accessories at the dealer also helped the decision.

He had a pretty good ad, but I would agree that it is a soft market. Another dealer had two 08 CRF450s, one for $3300 and one for $3500, but they would have cost more to add all of the accessories.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:29 AM

Strictly speaking, a soft market then translates to it being priced too high. The value of a product is primarily defined by how much people WILL pay for it and not necessarily how much the intrinsic value of it is. And for sure there are plenty of people who got incredible bargains who got a brand new bike for like $1000 OTD (obviously an exaggeration). You need not be concerned about those special cases but instead need to look at what the majority of the bikes in the similar range are selling for. I am sure you know all this already.

I say drop the price to $3100 firm, advertise on TT and CL with a nice ad with lots of pictures and descriptions and it will sell within a few weeks. Remember people are starting to get their tax refunds. As the old saying goes "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" so price it to sell and move on.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but seriously all the best to you and I hope it sells quickly!

Edited by mtnman0712, February 22, 2010 - 12:48 PM.
a few brain cells fired and I noticed my writing mistakes

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tacotory

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:38 AM

Strictly speaking, a soft market then translates to it being priced too high. The value of a product is primarily defined by how much people WILL pay for it and not necessarily how much the intrinsic value of it is. And for sure there are plenty of people who got incredible bargains such as myself who got brand new bike for $10 OTD. You need not be concerned about those special cases but instead need to look at what the majority of the bikes in the similar range are selling for. I am sure you know all this already.

I say drop the price to $3100 firm, advertise on TT and CL with a nice ad with lots of pictures and descriptions and it will sell within a few weeks. Remember people are starting to get their tax refunds. As the old saying goes "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" so price it to sell and move on.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but seriously all the best to you and I hope it sells quickly!

Thanks a ton for all the input. I think I'll spruce up my ad, lower the price a bit and then start lowering the price $100 every couple of weeks and get it gone. I don't need to sell it asap, but I would like to get it sold and move on.

The weather is starting to get better and the refunds are starting to come in, so maybe stuff will start to move soon.

Thanks again!:ride:

• tacotory

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:41 AM

BTW, where is the skid plate?

I had a TT alum. model on it and moved it over to my new bike. I can't seem to find the damn stocker!:ride: Anyone have one they want to sell?

• woods-rider

Posted February 22, 2010 - 12:27 PM

I just sold a '03 KTM 450 MXC with a broken electric start for 2k this weekend. I knwo KTMs go for a bit more, but I wouldnt drop the price just yet. Pick up some paint at your local yamaha dealer (or order online if you dont mind waiting) and paint the frame where the paint has worn off. It will make it seem like the bike has not been ridden much and potnetial buyers will see the nike pics and call. It did take me a few months to sell the KTM, but I listed it for 2k and never dropped the price. I had lots of calls and quite a bit of people out to look.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted February 22, 2010 - 12:44 PM

I had a TT alum. model on it and moved it over to my new bike. I can't seem to find the damn stocker!:ride: Anyone have one they want to sell?

I have stock glide plate and case protectors for a 2003 WR450F I am giving away for free. Will it fit? If so then just pay for shipping.

• ohioryder

Posted February 22, 2010 - 03:15 PM

Alot of good ideas and replys here. With the economy the way it is you just need to advertise as much and as far as possible. Dont rule out someone driving for a deal.

• HunterGSXR

Posted February 22, 2010 - 04:06 PM

I paid $3400 for an 06 with an exhaust, bars, CSV levers and FMF exhaust down here in San Diego a month or so ago. Asking price was $3700 i think.

• tacotory

Posted February 22, 2010 - 04:34 PM

I have stock glide plate and case protectors for a 2003 WR450F I am giving away for free. Will it fit? If so then just pay for shipping.

I'll take them! Thanks tons. PM sent.:ride:

• The Hill Boys

Posted February 22, 2010 - 06:50 PM

NADA has average retail for an 05 at $3055. Low retail is $2325. I would say your most effective price would be $2700. But, in the end, supply and demand prevail.

Here's one of your competitors...

http://portland.crai...1609779809.html

and another...

http://portland.crai...1613461714.html

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Here's your competitors...

http://portland.crai...1609779809.html

http://portland.crai...1613461714.html

OUCH....that says it all :thumbsup:

• biggziff

Posted February 24, 2010 - 01:47 PM

I bought a nice 05 wr450f in October for less than $2000. It has a lot of extras on it and low hours. Good luck with your bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.