Electirc start for the 650R?

9 replies to this topic
  • JR650

Posted May 19, 2003 - 07:13 PM

I have been wondering, is there such a thing as an electric starter for the 650R? if so how much do they weigh and are they reliable? Just askin because the old fart (my dad) thinks my bike is too hard to start when he rides it and it would also be nice to just push a button when I stall in tight spots or on hills. Anyone have experience with electric starters? thanks in advance,

• irondude

Posted May 19, 2003 - 07:26 PM

About a year ago i came to the same conclusion. I contacted a guy who makes e starts for the XR400. He was curious about the BRP as a future candidate for after market e button. If you go to his website at www.joeracerproducts.com, you will see that the XR650 e button is in development and 'available soon' - call him- he's a nice guy in the bay area and make us all jealous with the button.
Of course another option is to buy an Edelbrock carb- starts in 1 or 2 kicks anywhere anytime!

• PowerCell

Posted May 19, 2003 - 07:26 PM

Try here

• scorch

Posted May 20, 2003 - 07:23 PM

I like kickstarting my xr. It looks cool. :)

• 2wheels

Posted September 02, 2003 - 07:09 AM

a word of caution. These guys Joe Racer products ripped me off preety badly and i would be real cautious with them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigtom17

Posted September 03, 2003 - 12:52 AM

Joeracer wants $1099 for the e-start :) I thought dropping $400 was alot for a new carb. What everyone says about the EB quick silver is true. It used to hate starting that thing, even with the starting ritual. The EBQS is the best money I ever spent. Hell, half the time it won't stop running when I drop it. Mine stayed running upside down on a hill for 30 seconds once. Seriously call Barnums Pro and he will take care of you. Then you can laugh at all the posts about needles and stock carb problems, starting problems. They all go away.

• jaybert600

Posted September 03, 2003 - 07:34 AM

I agree with Big Tom. Don't complicate things any more with all that electric start stuff. :)

• irondude

Posted September 03, 2003 - 07:59 AM

EBQS self adjusts to altitude changes, has a fuel cell that allows it to run on its side, pumper gives instant hit, and 99% of the time will start with 1 or 2 kicks -even if you lay it down. No need for the e-start. Best place to buy one is at www.barnumspro.com

• qadsan

Posted September 03, 2003 - 06:05 PM

Ditto on the Qwiksilver :)

• J_T

Posted September 09, 2003 - 07:37 AM

I just bought, installed and rode with the Edelbrock Quicksilver from Barnums Pro! And all I can say is I can kick start it Bare-footed now!
I mainly bought it to regain the low-end pick-up (what was lost from uncorking and free-flow exhaust) and I was extreemly happy with the results. All for less than half the price of an electric start and no added weight. I'd try that first! If it doesn't help I know you can sell it here b/c there are many that'd pay for a used Edelbrock and then you can buy your electric start kit but I doubt that if you put the edelbrock carb on you will ever want to take it off again! Just my opinion!

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.