California Plated WR will plate transfer with new title/

9 replies to this topic
  • rogerc

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:16 PM

If I buy a California wr450 that is already plated will it always keep the plate or will it be pulled when I register it?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:25 PM

Ask the guys in the Ca region section they know all about plates. I think you will keep the plate, but I don't know that 100%

• tek9tim

Posted February 19, 2010 - 04:49 AM

Seems like if you have a CA plate, you could take it anywhere, but I could be wrong. I've heard of more trouble with people that have bikes plated outside of CA and try to take it there and get it plated. Also depends on where you're going. Some states (like Idaho) you can put a plate on anything without the DMV folks ever even looking at it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:20 AM

If I buy a California wr450 that is already plated will it always keep the plate or will it be pulled when I register it?

According to the law, the bike should loss the plate when sold. But that doesnt mean that is going to happen. Ive sold 2 dual sported bikes and even bought one...never had an issue. I wouldnt worry about it to much

• ASternad

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:34 AM

If the bike is a Green Sticker 4Stroke, you can get it back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:55 AM

Once it has been plated, the DMV will generally make the assumption during a transfer of ownership that the new owner is buying it for the same purpose as it has been used and set up street registration for him as well.

The new owner of any street legal vehicle has the privilege of asking for off road vehicle registration in lieu of street registration, but you would generally have to ask.

Laws such as emissions and testing requirements change constantly with little notice, though. As with any question like this, the best information will come from the DMV itself. But probably not the lady at the reception desk.

• SXP

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:13 AM

But probably not the [COLOR="Red"]lady[/COLOR] at the reception desk.

How sexist of you!
:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:51 AM

Sorry, it was an observation, based on what I have observed. :ride:

• Parx_400

Posted February 21, 2010 - 11:47 AM

I bought a 05 wr plates in CA last summer. I had no trouble putting it in my name.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 22, 2010 - 12:06 AM

According to the law, the bike should loss the plate when sold. But that doesnt mean that is going to happen. Ive sold 2 dual sported bikes and even bought one...never had an issue. I wouldnt worry about it to much

I agree.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.