yz450f suspension linkage

16 replies to this topic
  • wildlifeguy

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is an after market suspension linkage made for a 2008 yz450f been looking havent found anything..I see that pro circuit makes one for honda only?

• dvn

Posted February 19, 2010 - 03:32 AM

They don't make one because it doesn't need one. Stock suspension is excellent!

• tech24

Posted February 19, 2010 - 05:27 AM

Pro-circuit has the arm for '08 but not the full system.

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Does anyone know if there is an after market suspension linkage made for a 2008 yz450f been looking havent found anything..I see that pro circuit makes one for honda only?

What is it you think the linkage will accomplish for you?

• FinchFan194

Posted February 19, 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hello,

Seems to those linkages are usually made for a bike because they have a problem in the stroke like the initial stroke is harsh or something like that. Then they redo it and make it better. You do not need one for your YZf.

• wildlifeguy

Posted February 19, 2010 - 10:38 PM

Does it really matter what i think im going to get out of a suspension linkage all i asked for is if anyone knows if there is one made for my bike.

• dvn

Posted February 20, 2010 - 07:50 AM

Does it really matter what i think im going to get out of a suspension linkage all i asked for is if anyone knows if there is one made for my bike.

Good luck with that attitude here on TT.:ride: I think what people are trying to tell you is that aftermarket linkage, in this case, is a waste of money. If you don't like the answers you're getting, do the research yourself!

• l_campionero

Posted February 20, 2010 - 01:12 PM

Keep that up.....we'll all be lining up to help you.:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted February 20, 2010 - 01:13 PM

Good luck with that attitude here on TT.:ride: I think what people are trying to tell you is that aftermarket linkage, in this case, is a waste of money. If you don't like the answers you're getting, do the research yourself!

x2

What do you want it for looks? You were smart and bought a bike with good linkage so don't worry about replacing and unflawed part.

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Yes, it actually does. There have been linkages made for 3 different purposes for YZF's: Lowering, raising (to improve cornering), and so called suspension "improvement". If you had answered the question, I could have helped you with it, but it looks like you'd rather keep the matter a secret and figure it out for yourself. Happy Trails.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 20, 2010 - 08:47 PM

agreed, but could it be possible for one to have wrecked a piece trying to replace bearings??

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2010 - 09:32 PM

Sure, but would that make it more difficult to cooperate with those who try to help?

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 20, 2010 - 10:15 PM

Sure, but would that make it more difficult to cooperate with those who try to help?

haha, i meant it like, maybe ones to blame for wrecking them and is embarrased, so we get the rude remark. either way, it was uncalled for.

• wildlifeguy

Posted February 21, 2010 - 11:32 AM

yeah i see you point on the answer i did not mean it to sound that way so i apologize for that to everyone...i mostly just wanted it for looks i just see the Honda with the flashy nice looking one guess i just wanted a stock replacement that looked a little better..maybe just be better off powder coating my own?

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2010 - 12:32 PM

That would probably be the best approach. Outside of lowering the bike for a short rider, I don't know of one made for the '08 YZF. I also know that very, very few suspension tuners think there's anything about the rear shock compression rate of the YZF that needs correcting by altering the linkage, and Storm, who used to make linkages for the '04-'05 to raise the back and help them steer better, hasn't followed with anything for the '06+ models.

Linkage is a little hard to see when looking at the bike, though, isn't it?

• YamaLink

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:08 AM

Correct. The 08 has such tight clearance between the shock spring and swingarm that a connecting rod with minimal (say 1 inch or less) would be needed ala the Storm and any more amount - for short riders - would be accomplished via a rocker. Pro Circuit and a few other companies make short travel lowering links for other manufacturers but for the 08 yzf there is no such product yet.

Many pro racers or those with access to say, a full on factory team, change their suspension/linkage almost every weekend to suit the track/course/terrain. A millimeter this way or that.

That would probably be the best approach. Outside of lowering the bike for a short rider, I don't know of one made for the '08 YZF. I also know that very, very few suspension tuners think there's anything about the rear shock compression rate of the YZF that needs correcting by altering the linkage, and Storm, who used to make linkages for the '04-'05 to raise the back and help them steer better, hasn't followed with anything for the '06+ models.

Linkage is a little hard to see when looking at the bike, though, isn't it?

• WB450

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have a YamaLink on my 07 YZ, it looks nice, but more important it lowered it a little and made it easier to ride on tight single track. I'm not real tall.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.