08 450 fuel mixture screw

7 replies to this topic
  • Antonmoto

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hi, I fairly new with 4 strokes I've owned a few but usually kept them stock and just changed oil and had valves checked.

I just bought a 08 yz450 and it had a dr d exhaust that had a cracked in it so I replaced it with a full fmf 4n1 exhaust with the power bomb header.

It has a fuel mixture screw on the bottom of the carb with 1-2-3-4 on it, when I warmed it up and rode it down the rode and back it idles and runs great but at an idle if I "somewhat" chop the throttle it dies, I don't think I was fully up to operating temperture but I wanted to see what i should be looking for tomorrow for signs of being to lean or rich while riding? and what adjustment to make. It was tuned for the dr d full sytem previously (fyi)

Im not sure what the 1-4 stands for as far as clockwise-lean counter-rich??......

During riding it seemed like it did it a few times as I would brake for corners and accelerate it would sometimes stall. i don't have much experience on a 450 more on the 250f so the power difference is what im getting used to and I could drive hard into the corners and power out so the motor never really idled into the corner where as now I am hahaha.

Any info and tips would be great and appreciated :ride:

• dvn

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:47 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• Antonmoto

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:08 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

Hey I appreciate that, I did a search and didn't find something as straight forward it definitely helps!

• Family Man

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:11 PM

And the aluminum aftermarket fuel screws are more than likely JUNK. I bought a PC one and it wasn't even machined to the same size as the stocker...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:28 PM

And the aluminum aftermarket fuel screws are more than likely JUNK. I bought a PC one and it wasn't even machined to the same size as the stocker...

I have a moose racing (made by zip ty) screw and its kick a**. It fit perfect, has a heavier spring than stock and has never backed off under vibration. Have had it for a year.

• husqy360

Posted February 18, 2010 - 08:57 PM

my wb work just fine. u better get a band to hold it in place tho, beacuse it can vaibrate it self lose, i actully found mine on the crankshaft case ones, the band fixet it.
i have few friends that use aftermarket cheap aluminium fuel screws and none had a problem.

i dont think you supposed/need to chop the throttle on a 450.
you can try to rise the idle abit maybe, clean the air filter, adjust carb.......

my 06 will die to if i chop the throttle like a 2 strokes.
use the search engine you will find what you need.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:30 PM

The question no one has answered is that the numbers are simply there as a visual reference to help you see whether you've turned the screw a full turn, half turn, etc. The screw meters an air fuel emulsion, so it's richer as you turn out, leaner in.

The link to Eddie's post is a good one, but skims over the basics a little quickly. Keep it in mind though, and read this:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

• Antonmoto

Posted February 19, 2010 - 07:16 AM

thanks for all the input it really helps!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.