Rekluse Pro oil question?

9 replies to this topic
  • Dillier23

Posted February 18, 2010 - 03:06 PM

I know Rekluse recommends the Shell Rotella T 15-40 for thier auto clutches. The question I have is this: If a full sythetic oil (like hondas' or rotella t6) has a JASO MA rating, which is classified to be used in wet clutch systems, why cant we use it for the auto clutch? I realize the slippage the auto clutch may be a bit more than a manual clutch, but a two stroke MX bike probably has a lot more abuse on it than what the auto clutch on a 4 stroke trail bike would ever see. I know there are several running sythetic in 4 and 2 stroke race bikes with manual clutches with no problems. I would like an answer that would fully explain the reason not to run a full synthetic MA rated oil with the Rekluse auto clutch. Thanks for your time. Posted in two different forums to get as many explanations as possible.

• Nayther

Posted February 18, 2010 - 05:08 PM

I've used the Motul 2 stroke trans oil in mine since I've put the Rekluse in it, no problem, lots of miles.

• Dillier23

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Im guessing thats a sythetic oil?

• phuzz

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Rotella T is dino oil:
http://www.shell.com...ion_detail.html

Full product line:
http://www.shell.com...ducts_home.html

Rekluse recommends Rotella T. This meets/exceeds their requirements. If you want to know why a synth product will or will not suffice, ask Rekluse.

• cubera

Posted February 19, 2010 - 04:39 AM

Maxima MTL is what I run and it works great.

• Dillier23

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:22 AM

I've spoken to a gentleman at Rekluse and all he could tell me was what they recommended. He did say a sythetic blend should be fine. There are also several street bikes that run sythetic oil in their wet clutch system and they have substantially more HP than the 450 off road bikes. I may be running circles around myself, but the logic that a JASO MA rated sythetic oil will mess up an auto clutch just doesn't make sense. Sorry, I am trying to get to the bottom of this, I know it's repetitive.

• Nayther

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:23 AM

I don't know really, its what I was using before I put the Rekluse in, so just kept using it.

Checking their website I believe it is a petroleum product:

http://www.motul.com...box/gear11.html

• phuzz

Posted February 19, 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've spoken to a gentleman at Rekluse and all he could tell me was what they recommended. He did say a sythetic blend should be fine. There are also several street bikes that run sythetic oil in their wet clutch system and they have substantially more HP than the 450 off road bikes. I may be running circles around myself, but the logic that a JASO MA rated sythetic oil will mess up an auto clutch just doesn't make sense. Sorry, I am trying to get to the bottom of this, I know it's repetitive.

I think that is the status quo for manufacturers: They design/build a product, and anything like which lubricants to use are also spec'd out, but they are not going to continuously update or spec new lubricants over time; they have a baseline recommendation, and that usually suffices in a "meets or exceeds" scenario.

Dino oil is perfectly fine for so many applications, yet there is syth also available. So if a manufacturer specs for SAE 10w-40 dino, they are'nt going to delve into the smaller "designer" or "boutique" syth oils as well. Granted, there are many mainstream syths out there, like Mobil1 that they could use, but those are formulations that can change.

Plain old unadulterated, un-additiv'ed-to-death SAE 30 should be fine for a Rekluse autoclutch. I bet they named Rotella T as it wasn't going to get moly or other friction modifiers so commonly found in passenger car type oils.

My take is that if you use a JASO synth for a Rekluse, that you are above and beyond any requirements. Some will see this as a level of comfort, knowing that they are protecting their machine as best they can; while others will see this as an unnecessary expense and be overkill.

So long as you have the lubrication requirements met, and aren't adding any negative compounds that can have a detrimental effect on clutch friction plates, you should be fine.

• W8kOrSnow

Posted February 23, 2010 - 01:43 PM

I've been running Mobil 1 in mine since the install (about 40 hours now) and no problems. Honestly, I ran Mobil1 with the manual clutch and never thought about changing over brands when the Rekluse went in. My bad for not reading all the instructions.

As others have posted, as long as it meets the base requirements and doesn't have any detrimental additives, a synthetic should be fine.

• Yamaha8519B

Posted February 23, 2010 - 01:55 PM

Spec'ing an oil is just a way of saying that when they test their clutches that is what is used so any claims they make about their clutches performance are only guaranteed if you use that oil. You probably won't have any problems using a different oil. They just can't say you are gonna get x amount of hours without service on the clutch with every oil because they cant know for sure.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2005 CRF 450X Electric Start and Battery Issues by DaxxRuckus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 15 replies
Forums
Photo

cracked case by kick start by 2450xs

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 450x front and rear suspension questions by dale450x2007

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

crf450x sumo? by jrice2012

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto (SuperMotard)
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

crf450x or crf250x by Ahner21

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.