Broken hub

9 replies to this topic
  • Marty

Posted December 04, 2000 - 03:19 PM

How many of you that broke your rear hubs had Yamaha warranty them ? I read some of the posts regarding breaking hubs from a few months ago and it seems like it was split as far as having Yamaha pay for the replacement hub. My rear hub broke this weekend :) and I'm looking for some additional input before I approach Yamaha.

Appreciate your inputs !

• DaveJ

Posted December 04, 2000 - 04:37 PM

The verdict is not in on mine. They said they were going to cover it, but I stopped bugging them and have yet to hear back.

Can you describe what you were doing when this happened? And most importantly, how many of the sprocket bolts were remaining on the sprocket, and how many bolt holes are remaining on the hub?

Also let me know what size rear sprocket you were using.

• Marty

Posted December 04, 2000 - 08:38 PM

The failure occurred gassing it out of a rutted corner. The sprocket was sheared in two. One portion had two (2) bolts still attached, this is where the hub broke. The other portion of the sprocket did not have any bolts on it. I looked around the area but did not see any of the other nuts and bolts. I had only completed a few laps when the failure occurred. I had just replaced all of the nuts & bolts after losing one the last time I rode. Most (not all) of the nuts were loose, therefore being the anal guy I'am, and knowing that loose sprocket bolts and hub failures were known to happen, I figured it would be best to replace all of the hardware. I used Blue loctite (sp?) and tighten all of the bolts.
From reading previous posts, my guess is it was related to chain being too tight. Like most others that have experienced this problem, I'm surprised because I've always adjusted my chain the same way for many years now without problems.
Now with all of this said, what hub do you recommend, the stock Yamaha, or maybe a Talon ?
Again, appreciate your input.

• DaveJ

Posted December 04, 2000 - 09:24 PM

I can't say if what caused your hub to fail was the chain being too tight, but if you were missing bolts, knowing there were in place before your ride, this is a likely cause.

How you check chain tension is critical, and there is clearly little room for error. You'll have to let me know how you checked for this.

As for a new hub, I choose another Yamaha hub. They are inexpensive, (about $85) light weight, and you can use the factory rim.

Talons are expensive, very heavy, and you'll need a new rim. However, they are trick and would be good for those doing extreme events (desert, long jumps...etc).

But I beat my bike really bad and neither hub failed outside of the chain problem.

Check with others here and see what they think.

• Numpsy

Posted December 05, 2000 - 06:02 AM

Talon will not fit Your stock rim ?
What kind of rear wheel did You get ?
Mine has an Excel rim and that fits the Talon hub great.
Ater loosing two hubs, two swing-arms, one rear frame and one gearbox I switched to Talon !
Please watch Your bolts.
Do not over torque !!! And ride Your chain a bit looser that what the book says and You will be allright !
One small thing: Rip Your clutch basket out and replace with a Hinson unit !
That will save the day.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted December 05, 2000 - 03:46 PM

I was told by a Talon dealer that I had to purchase a new rim to fit the spoke spacing or count (whatever it was) to fit the Talon design. That could be an Excel rim, but not the factory one.

Someone correct me if that's bogus info.

Either case, I and others abuse the factory hub enough for me to feel comfortable enough to use it, as long as you keep things in order.

• Marty

Posted December 05, 2000 - 06:43 PM

Spoke to my Yamaha dealer today and he said he was aware of the problem with the sprockets loosening,however he also stated that Yamaha does not feel it's a manufacturer defect, just user error. He didn't say anything about the chain tension causing the problem, he kept along the lines that the sprockets have a habit of coming loose. I asked what could be done to ensure that the sprocket won't come loose as I'm approaching a high speed jump and he couldn't answer.
Now that I know to change my method of chain adjustment (less tension) , is it safe to assume that I shouldn't have to worry about this happening again if I use loctite and correctly torque the bolts ? Needless to say now I'll be a little more apprehensive when riding any jump filled track.

Thanks for your opinions.

• bashn

Posted December 07, 2000 - 06:51 AM

Yamaha hubs can and will fail on a regular basis if you don't:

1. Replace sprocket nuts and bolts when changing the sprocket.

2. Use locktight and a torque wrench to properly tighten the nuts.

3. Inspect the tightness of the sprocket bolts every few races.

4. Replace the chain after breaking a sprocket, no matter how good it looks.

I have a friend who has broken more than a few, and these are the things that caused his failures. Primarily, loose sprocket bolts.

Posted December 07, 2000 - 08:25 AM

Is this a problem on 2001 426's too?, or just oo 426's?

• bashn

Posted December 07, 2000 - 11:11 AM

I've owned a '98YZ400, '99YZ400, and now a '01YZ250F. Personally, I've never had problems with any of my hubs. I re-use sprocket bolts only 1 time, and check them often. All the broken hubs I've seen have been neglected in at least one of the ways mentioned earlier. I've seen this on '98, '99, and '00 hubs, so I suspect Yamaha hubs are softer than most and can't take much neglect. Properly maintained, you most likely will never have a problem. :)

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.