move parts from '07 YZ250 to 08/09 YZ450F ?

20 replies to this topic
  • shrubitup

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:25 AM

Shhhhh! Don't tell no one. I am still secretly lusting for no spooge or smoke and some more torque too. I also think compression braking is cool. :ride:

However! My YZ250 is so cherry with aftermarket parts, re-valved/re-sprung suspension, and a number of woods focused mods. Some will be moved over and others prolly re-purchased. :ride:

In order for this to be a go I would like to directly bolt on my suspension and upper triple clamp if possible. I have a 2007 YZ250 smoker and am considering the '08 or '09 YZ450F. I will act very slowly on this but just want the information to ponder. :lol: I would move the 450F parts over to the 250 and then sell it.

The '08+ YZ450F is the version where the OEM quiet shorty silencer was installed, right?

• cowboyona426

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:39 AM

Ohhh you are in big trouble :ride: As far as I know, everything should swap over just fine as far as the suspension. You may have to swap the steering stems out though.
I can't recall if the start of the OEM shorty muffler was 07 or 08, but I want to say 07.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:50 AM

To begin with, the stock spring rates are considerably different because of the difference in weight. The 250 comes with .43/4.9 springs, whereas an '08 450 has .47/5.5's. So the spring rates will be wrong regardless. If you've had any valving work done, that will likely not work the same on the 450, either, even if the spring rates are corrected. All in all, I'd say you're better off starting over.

Another matter is that the '08 450 has a smaller brake caliper, and a master cylinder to match, and all of that would also need to follow from one bike to the other.

Top clamps are not interchangeable that I know of, either.

The front wheels do interchange, though, as do the rears with an '08 450. The '09 has a larger rear axle.

• shrubitup

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Grayracer!

I have big ass springs in there now to accommodate my weight but alas they are calc'd for the 250 bike weight so :ride: I will take up the matter with LT Racing who did my 250.

Is it safe to say that it could be switched over however? I've got about 100 hours on the 250 suspension so maybe it just makes sense to start over. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:25 AM

Basically, the major components will switch. The shock will, and the forks will fit in either triple clamp set. I'm not certain as to whether the clamps will fit as a set, or if the tops can be interchanged.

Then there is the matter of the front braking system.

IMO, you should not plan on doing the swap. I don't see that there is any advantage to it, beyond possibly the triple clamp.

• shrubitup

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:30 AM

I don't see that there is any advantage to it, beyond possibly the triple clamp.

Which is a negligible cost really and may not even be needed. I like the Pro Taper Accutrax on this 250 because the ergos are cramped without it. The 450 ergos could be larger which would negate the need for the aftermarket clamp. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:58 AM

Something else that very nicely opens up the YZ450 is a set of Windham bent Pro Taper bars. Moves the hands up and forward. :ride:

• cowboyona426

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:30 PM

Something else that very nicely opens up the YZ450 is a set of Windham bent Pro Taper bars. Moves the hands up and forward. :ride:

A big x2 to that one, love the Windham bend bars on my 06.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:17 PM

A big x2 to that one, love the Windham bend bars on my 06.

me too love they way they feel..

• FinchFan194

Posted February 18, 2010 - 03:39 PM

The shorty muffler started in 08.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 03:45 PM

The shorty muffler is also a piece of crap.

To be blunt. :ride:

• shrubitup

Posted February 18, 2010 - 03:56 PM

The shorty muffler is also a piece of crap.

To be blunt. :ride:

Have read it's quiet but saps power. I like to turn YZs into trail bikes so it may be OK for what I need if I just add a PMB sparky. Seems the FMF Q4 is only $100 more so I dunno. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Have read it's quiet but saps power. I like to turn YZs into trail bikes so it may be OK for what I need if I just add a PMB sparky.

It might. But the annoying thing about the pipe is not that it cuts peak power; it does hurt it much. The problem is that it puts a huge dip in the curve at right around 5000 rpm, which is right in the meat of your low/mid range grunt. Very disappointing.

• Luv2crash

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:37 AM

Shrub i won't tell the others, because i too am interested in a 450...

• shrubitup

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:46 AM

Shrub i won't tell the others, because i too am interested in a 450...

It's gets old people telling me that I'm not riding it hard enough, it's jetted poorly, it has a blown crank seal, I'm using the wrong pre-mix oil/ratio, my 10 hour top end wasn't broke in properly, etc. etc. Too much smoke and spooge to ride tight wooded trails. The motor was designed to run fast on a MX track - sorta hard to correct that for optimal combustion efficiency at slow speeds. Aside from that, great bike but I'm sick of the smoke and spooge. Maybe a KTM XC but I'm too cheap for that AND I've never had a 450F so why not!

The B.S. about the 450F inertia and not wanting to turn - I guess I hafta find out for myself eventually. :ride:

• Luv2crash

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Also 450's seam to be heading forward in time

• cowboyona426

Posted February 22, 2010 - 08:44 AM

shrubitup, if you want to take one for a spin some time you are welcome to come thread some trees with my 06.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:11 AM

idk if anybody said this but you cant switch over the linkage from the 2 smoker to the 450.. the linkage is longer for the 450.. but you can switch the shock over

• shrubitup

Posted February 24, 2010 - 10:01 AM

idk if anybody said this but you cant switch over the linkage from the 2 smoker to the 450.. the linkage is longer for the 450.. but you can switch the shock over

Naw, don't want no linkage just the shock perhaps.

Cowboy, I'll have to get over there this spring and do that! :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted February 24, 2010 - 03:03 PM

Naw, don't want no linkage just the shock perhaps.

Cowboy, I'll have to get over there this spring and do that! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a plan to me! Just don't make me spend too much time on the ring-ding :ride:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.