426 vs. 450 Is it worth to upgrade? Where to buy?

14 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted May 19, 2003 - 10:30 AM

Dear Thumper Friends - I am considering to upgrade my WR426F 2001 for a WR450F with the magic button. My 426 bike is a European model (YZ timed with YZ tank and seat) and I am happy with it as it is a great bike and in excellent shape with WB pipe and I am considering the change merely to have a newer, lighter bike with electric starter, (I've read all the wonderful marketing stories) but wanted to hear from anyone who really did so if it was worth it.

(Somebody actually told me that he had heard that the 450 feels less powerfull than the 426 :)

My 426 improved a LOOOOOTTTT after I exchanged the original (closed) European muffler for the WB e-series pipe. Can I use this WB E-series on a WR450F?

The other question is where to buy? I live abroad and my transporter was only able to find one for US$6,600. Can anyone tell me where to find this bike for less? I saw that the list price is US$6,300 and we're already in May (prices go down?)

Look forward to hearing from anyone on the questions posted. Thanks Robert:thumbsup:

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 19, 2003 - 10:37 AM

Don't know much, except for that the 450 with the addition of a starter, and a battery, and anything else that goes along with e-start bikes, will not be lighter than your 426.

• Stefe9999

Posted May 19, 2003 - 11:02 AM

Did you change the timing to YZ, or are you saying the Euro models come YZ timed?

• FTD

Posted May 19, 2003 - 11:15 AM

A buddy of mine hates his new 450. He got rid of a CRF and prior a yz426f. He thinks the 450 is "sleepy". I am obviously completely happy with my 426 and rarely desire a button. Sure would be nice if I stall on a nasty switchback though. I do however think the 450 is more nimble on the snakey mountain trails. I personally am going to wait until Yamaha gets the details figured out on the 450.
Hoss

• oRGie

Posted May 19, 2003 - 11:23 AM

i thought i saw in the specs that a 450 is in fact lighter than the 426 :) no the wr doesnt come yz timed in europe. shame :D

• endurodog

Posted May 19, 2003 - 11:34 AM

The mags said the new WR450 is a few pounds lighter than the WR426. I like mine better than the WR400 I'm selling. It doesn't have the hit of the YZ450 which is just fine with me. I don't need that kind of hit in the woods. The benifit of trading up is how much is the E start worth to you. If you can't live with out an E start then yes trade up. If the E start doesn't matter and your bike is in good shape, hang on to the 426. Just my $.02 worth

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 19, 2003 - 12:06 PM

I've seen the mags, and have looked on yamaha's web site, and they list the 450 at 245 dry. Which I think is a marketing ploy. I have seen where they listed the 01 426's at around 260. After feeling a 450, and have felt a 426, it sure doesn't feel lighter. Common sense tells me that no matter what modifications they have made over the past 2 years to cut weight-it would be hard to off-set the addition of 15 lbs for the e-start option. Just my 2-cents that aren't worth a penny. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted May 19, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Unless your lifting them off the ground, curling or bench pressing. I believe the WR450 would feel a little heavier, even though it's lighter, or claimed to be. The WR450 has the battery sitting pretty high , on top of the air box. It may give a false impression of weighing more. Now the way I would guess your feeling the weight, by moving it back an forth is more realistic to how you ride a bike too and thats what really matters more than a few pounds. But in the end I still feel the preception of extra weight is worth it for the E start.

• SBG

Posted May 19, 2003 - 01:07 PM

I'm a 250 guy with an 03, but I'll say this. The e-start which I thought I'd never want or need, really came in handy during the NETRA turkey run this weekend. There were quite a few guys wiping out on the long slippery uphills, and once they choked off the trail, it was a sit and wait proposition. The e-start made it real easy to hop back on after helping 20 or so people get out of your way, to hop on and not be exhausted with kicking. Even if the 03's are a 1 or 2 kick proposition, having it also made things better when I personally blew it on the steep uphills. I could stand on the side of the bike(didn't matter which side) and start it and walk it up the hill till I could hop back on. If you're 100% happy with your bike, forget about the 450 if you want it just cause it's new. Save the coin, wait till the 450 wars get hotter, then make the choice. Maybe 2 years, but I guarantee, the wait will be worth it. I almost wish I had done the same with my 250. Let all the manufacturer's wind up the 250 off road war, then buy. The CRF250X was about half a year too far away for me, as I had no bike.

• r1superstar

Posted May 19, 2003 - 01:18 PM

The 450 is heavier than the 426 by about 5 lbs, and it holds less fuel.

I've heard many great things about the new 450 but none that impress me to the point to make me give up my 02' 426 for the 03' 450. :)

Stick with the 426..............db

• Rcsnowb

Posted May 19, 2003 - 03:49 PM

According to DB they are the same. Both weighing in at 262.
My neighbor has a 426 and the only difference I really noticed as far as power is that the 450 has a stronger bottom end and it feel more torquey. Otherwise the bikes are close power wise. I also like the way the seat is on the 450 better.
Just my $.02

-Clint

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 19, 2003 - 05:20 PM

Unless your lifting them off the ground, curling or bench pressing. I believe the WR450 would feel a little heavier, even though it's lighter, or claimed to be. The WR450 has the battery sitting pretty high , on top of the air box. It may give a false impression of weighing more. Now the way I would guess your feeling the weight, by moving it back an forth is more realistic to how you ride a bike too and thats what really matters more than a few pounds. But in the end I still feel the preception of extra weight is worth it for the E start.

As a matter of fact, I was curling them :)

• Stefe9999

Posted May 19, 2003 - 06:06 PM

Hey Robert BRazil,
Did you see my question about timing above? Are you saying that the Euro WR has YZ timing already, or did you change it?

• Robert_Brazil

Posted May 23, 2003 - 02:32 AM

I modified the timing change to YZ. The European bike comes (came) as the European with the exceptions of a smaller tank (like the YZ) and the bike has no grey-wire and the muffler is stainless steel and cannot be as easily modified as the US muffler. Other than that they are the same to the extent of my knowledge.

• Jonesy920

Posted May 24, 2003 - 11:09 AM

You can "tune" out that heavy side to side feeling by moving the Shocks up in the triple clamp or moving the rear wheel forward in the chain adjustment. As for starting, the e-start is worth it when you stall on an uphill in the middle of a race while getting sprayed with roost. The 450 does Kick start awesome (unfortunalty I know) no drills just one smooth stroke. Is it worth the Extra $$ You have to make that decision for yourself. I don't think a rider would get any faster on a 450 Vs a 426.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.