stock spark plug

11 replies to this topic
  • G-Man

Posted December 04, 2000 - 05:40 AM

Starting the bike has still been tricky as I do not have it down yet! I've heard the stock plug is crappy and can make for hard starting is this true?

It seems like mine is getting harder to start! Any previous YZ owners finding the 01 is hard to start? I thought this was one of the fixes? I live in AZ elev about 1200 and the jetting is fine. I turned the idle up slightly.

Thx,
G-Man

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 04, 2000 - 06:07 AM

G-Man,
I have been running the same NGK plug since March, no problems. Don't know the number off hand though but I got it at Champion Yamaha in Mesa, I just asked for the stock plug.

Hey, were you at Speedworld on Saturday. I looked for your number but didn't see you. We had a ball, I'm spoiled now after riding there. I think I'm going to race the over 40 class at next Sundays race. It's only been 25 years since my last race, do you think it will matter???

Paul in AZ

• Hick

Posted December 04, 2000 - 07:29 AM

I’ve heard complaints about the ND plugs but I thought my ’00 came with NGK (but I can’t remember).

Anyway the proper NGK plugs are CR8E or CR9E the latter being on step colder. I did foul a 9 one time, though it was probably operator error, and just run the 8 now. In my experience a plug either works or doesn’t, a new one doesn’t make my bike noticeably easier to start.

I also read that ignition timing at idle was revised for ’01 to ease starting. This doesn’t seem to have helped you though :)

You may want to try a bit richer idle mix, but make sure you note the stock position and only try small incremental changes.

• G-Man

Posted December 04, 2000 - 08:54 AM

Paul,
i went out Sunday, should have gone sat as they only ran 1/2 the track! Vntg racing on the other half. Glad to hear you liked Speedworld it's a great track & I will be racing in the 40 class Sunday too! See you behind the gate! It shouldn't matter that it's ONLY been 25 yrs.......

Hick,
Is the richer idler mix easy to do? I am a rookie on these thumpers. :)

Thx,
G-Man
http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

• jaybird67k

Posted December 04, 2000 - 03:19 PM

Just between me and you ....no offense to Mr. Hick , but a rich idle setting is the last thing you want on a single cylinder 4-stroke for ease of starting. The choke makes it plenty rich already. Rich carb settings are 90% of the starting prob's on these bikes. First kick 98% of the time here, every once in a while 2 kicks....but rare. Mine is all stock and a dream to start.

Later, Jason

• Hick

Posted December 05, 2000 - 07:21 AM

Originally posted by jaybird67k:
…a rich idle setting is the last thing you want on a single cylinder 4-stroke for ease of starting.

Jason,

I agree completely but an overly lean setting isn’t so great either and in many cases the stock idle mix is too lean on these bikes for ’00, although maybe this has changed for ’01. I’m sure G-Man is happy that you have no problems starting your bike but that doesn’t really help him any.

G-Man,

The idle mix is adjusted via a fuel screw that sits in a recess in the bottom of the float bowl. You need a very short screwdriver, I just use the metal portion from one of those cheap bit drivers. You should note the stock setting before you make any changes so you can go back to it (this is 1.75 turns out for ’00). Make changes ¼ turn at a time, out is richer, in is leaner.

I bet your starting problems go away as you become more familiar with your bike and maybe a little more seat time is in order before you try any jetting changes. If it won’t start cold with the choke try blipping the throttle, this will squirt some gas into the cylinder. It doesn’t matter how far you twist it but how long you leave it open (return to closed position before you kick).

As you’re trying different ways to get it to light (choke on or off, blip throttle, more/less idle etc.) just remember to “clear” things up between tries by pulling hot start and comp. release and kicking through ten times. This way you won’t load the bike up which only makes things worse. If you stall a warm bike this method should guarantee a restart (leave the hot start on if bike is, well, hot).

Hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom426

Posted December 05, 2000 - 08:19 AM

I went from the stock 42 pilot to a 48 pilot,one turn out on the fuel screw and that totally solved my hard starting problem on my 01 426. The hot button is never needed now. I ride at sea level.

• G-Man

Posted December 05, 2000 - 09:45 AM

Thx for the tips guys, I will print them out.
:D
Tom,
Are you an experienced YZF owner, how did you know this would help? I live in AZ, approx 1200 ft above sea level.
Is this easy to do, the carb looks like a nightmare to work on! :)

Thx,

G-Man

• Tom426

Posted December 05, 2000 - 07:04 PM

G-Man,I have read alot of posts most on the 426 and
WR400 discussion boards. They have been invalueable.
James Dean and Clark Mason have many posts about jetting. They are the jetting experts and deserve a BIG THANK YOU from all of us.

Changing the pilot jet is not hard at all. The carb does not have to be removed.
You will need to losen the bolts that hold the rubber boots to the carb. Remove the two bolts that hold the coil on and losen the pipe clamp and turn it around.
This way you can twist the carb enough to get to the four bolts on the botton of the carb.
Remember though,there is another jet on the botton of the carb next to the main jet....I think it's called the air jet?? It's easy to confuse it with the pilot jet. Best bet to look in your manual..

• holeshot

Posted December 05, 2000 - 09:07 PM

When adjusting the fuel screw at the bottom of the float bowl, I used the little mirror that comes on one of those novelty tools that's a combination light, magnet, pen and dentist type mirror. I turn the screw 1/4 turn and then check with the mirror to see that the screw has actually turned, and then repeat as necessary.

G-man:

Maybe your leg is getting a little tired? :)

[This message has been edited by holeshot (edited 12-05-2000).]

• G-Man

Posted December 06, 2000 - 08:38 AM

Thx again Tom426 those are some great tips! I'm going to get a new pilot jet ASAP!
Going to race the Beast for the 1st time this weekend, so I hope I get this done before that.

And yes Holeshot my leg is getting tired and my patience is getting short! LOL

Damn freagen 4-stroke #@%*@&!!!!!

------------------
G-Man

• G-Man

Posted December 06, 2000 - 08:39 AM

Thx again Tom426 those are some great tips! I'm going to get a new pilot jet ASAP!
Going to race the Beast for the 1st time this weekend, so I hope I get this done before that.

And yes Holeshot my leg is getting tired and my patience is getting short! LOL

Damn freagen 4-stroke #@%*@&!!!!!

------------------
G-Man

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.