Help, Installing new hot start cable

3 replies to this topic
  • Aaron_YZ450F

Posted February 16, 2010 - 09:15 PM

I'm installing a new hot start cable on my 04' YZ450F since my old one snapped on the first ride of the season. I took the old cable out and am using the cap off the old cable. The problem is, when I route the cable to the lever it feels and looks like it is too long, it just will not stay seated in the housing on the perch. Also when I was taking off the cable, i unscrewed the cap from the carb and noticed there was no spring inside the cap or plunger? Could it have came off inside the carb, and do I need to take the carb off to install this thing.

Parts I have-

1- Hot start cable with ball on end that goes toward cap
2- Cap that was removed from old cable

Those are all the parts that I have to assemble this thing, what am I missing, because I am pretty sure I should have a spring and plunger also.

Thanks in advance!

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:46 AM

I'm pretty sure of that, too. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't detail this very well. But the parts fiche does. Review this image:

http://oem.thumperta..._carburetor.gif

Items 36 - 41 all belong on the carb end of the cable. If the bike runs reasonably well, the plunger is probably in the carb, but it may be corroded in place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aaron_YZ450F

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thank you very much, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. I spent about 45 minutes last night perusing the service manual to no evail. I am almost positive the plunger is coroded into the carb, because the bike runs like a gem. Thanks for all your help.

Thumper Talk store here I come.:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2010 - 10:12 AM

I am almost positive the plunger is coroded into the carb,...

If it's in there, what you will see looking down into the hot start bore is a slot, like in the head of a screw, where the cable is supposed to be. If it's gone, there will be only the bottom of the hot start bore.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.