About to Purchase 98 WR400

6 replies to this topic
  • CRFMike_5

Posted February 16, 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hey guys I'm about to purchase a 1998 wr400 in a couple weeks and was wondering what should I mainly look out for? the guy already told me that the waterpump is leaking but he did say the impellar is spinning freely, he is asking 1100 is this gonna be a fair price or should I ask for less? I also plan to be doing a fair amount of commuting on it is it gonna be pretty good for the freeways 65mph or so I dont plan on doing much speeding thats what the M5 is for:thumbsup: thanks for all the input!:ride:

heres a pic as well
http://smg.photobuck...to.jpg&newest=1

Edited by CRFMike_5, February 16, 2010 - 01:41 PM.
to put in picture link

• CRFMike_5

Posted February 16, 2010 - 10:07 PM

:ride: BUMP

• mixster

Posted February 16, 2010 - 10:09 PM

i have a 98 wr400 as well. love the hell outta it. if you gear it out you can cruise highway. ive got a 15front and 45rear. tops out around 100mph, about 6500rpm at 65mph. doesnt get hot on the frwy either. ive put almost 2k miles on mine in the last 2 years. was in the garage doing some work on it for a while (just maintenance and upgrades, no fixing). done some desert riding on it too. handled great. dont know what the water pump is gonna cost you but it should be cheap. id recommend one to anyone i knew. only deal is if you ever plan on swapping out the wheels for others as i did you will have to make them yourself. in 99 yamaha changed the rear axle to a different size so the 98 and earlier shared an axle size. making it a 1 year bike. love it to death. go buy it and tear the neighborhood up. heres a few pics of mine in both availiable forms. gotta love 20 min wheel swap from dirt to street!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRFMike_5

Posted February 16, 2010 - 11:39 PM

what do you mean by me having to make the tires myself lol?

• mixster

Posted February 17, 2010 - 08:21 AM

re-read, i said wheels, not tires. they are different.

• CRFMike_5

Posted February 17, 2010 - 02:12 PM

ohh sorry about that, im just really excited to be back on the road soon lol its been a couple years since I sold my 04 636

• pablo83

Posted February 22, 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hey guys I'm about to purchase a 1998 wr400 in a couple weeks and was wondering what should I mainly look out for? the guy already told me that the waterpump is leaking but he did say the impellar is spinning freely, he is asking 1100 is this gonna be a fair price or should I ask for less? I also plan to be doing a fair amount of commuting on it is it gonna be pretty good for the freeways 65mph or so I dont plan on doing much speeding thats what the M5 is for:thumbsup: thanks for all the input!:ride:

heres a pic as well
http://smg.photobuck...to.jpg&newest=1

$1100 is a great price for a bike in good condition. The WR is great on trails, but you won't like it on the highway unless do a lot of work to it (sumo tires, comfortable seat, steering stabilzer, high gearing, and cush drive [for maintainance reasons])

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.