2010 Problem (cam cover leak)

102 replies to this topic
  • motoxracer595

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:29 AM

I'm in the middle of putting the new designed gasket on now. Should the super glue trick be done to hold it in place use silicone? I too cut the bridge on the gasket hope i didnt F it up:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2011 - 12:27 PM

As I recall looking at it, I don't think there's a way around cutting the bridge out, but it's been a while since I looked at one.

If it was me installing it on my bike, I would use it without any adhesives or sealers at all. Definitely not ordinary silicone.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:30 AM

Buddy of mine at the race this weekend told me his 2011 valve cover gasket leaked on him at the last race he was at which was last weekend. I know when he bought the bike but dont know how many Hrs. he has on it but cant be more than 25 hrs. He bought it back in Feburary.

Anyways he said it was leaking pretty bad and he was at the race and had to do something so he said he used some silicone and layed it on thick and hoped it would work. Said it made it through the both motos and didn't leak.

Said he had to get another gasket for it though.

Now ......My 2010 has 57 hrs on it now and I haven't had any problems with mine leaking.

As yall may know I just recently bought a New 2011 (bought it Sept 8th).
so I guess I will have to be watching the gasket on this one since some 2011's are doing it also.

I thought the new gasket Yamaha came out with was suppose to took care of this issue? Surly they redone the gaskets before the 11's went out wouldn't they?

Must not have if my friends 11 started leaking last week.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.