Whats it worth?

I'm new to the site guys, and looking into trading my quad for a bike.

here's the specs...

08 yamaha yz450f

1 1/8 renthal bars

full yoshimura exhaust

aftermarket black wheels

carbon fiber frame guards

wave brake rotor on the rear

cv4 hoses

break away ASV levers with hotstart

R&D Carb bowl

Boysen holeshot device

MX tech front fork setup ($2800)

Pro Action rear suspension

suspension is set up for a 180lb rider

16859_323316216678_500821678_4754888_4407906_n.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance guys, hope to be joining you soon!

I'd say a stock 08 in good condition with reasonable hours on it is worth about $4000. How much are all the extras on this bike worth to you? How fresh is the motor?

I don't think so. You can buy a new 09 for 4899.00 and I've seen new 08's for 3899.00

Low hour '08's are not hard to find, though, and you can get fairly good ones for between $3000-$3500 these days. The bike listed would appear to have been a race bike, as opposed to something that was mostly used recreationally. Consider the overall condition carefully. The extra stuff adds very little to the true value of the bike except in the case that it makes it what you want it to be.

In the end, if both of you are happy with the trade, do it.

Low hour '08's are not hard to find, though, and you can get fairly good ones for between $3000-$3500 these days. The bike listed would appear to have been a race bike, as opposed to something that was mostly used recreationally. Consider the overall condition carefully. The extra stuff adds very little to the true value of the bike except in the case that it makes it what you want it to be.

In the end, if both of you are happy with the trade, do it.

What is important to watch for on these bikes? I've read a lot about listening for any knocking... anything else I should pay attention to when looking/riding it?

What is important to watch for on these bikes? I've read a lot about listening for any knocking... anything else I should pay attention to when looking/riding it?
If you're going to reject a YZ450 for engine noises, you'll never buy one. They make more noise than a pipefitting school when they're healthy. The thing is to be familiar with the normal noise levels. Listen to a few of them before you choose, or have someone who knows the breed check it out.

Otherwise, there isn't a lot of out of the ordinary faults. Do inspect the steering head area for cracks (more of an issue on the '07's than others). Also look under the chain slider on top of the swing arm for serious scuffing wear. (See: http://members.cox.net/oldernyzer/wearplate.htm )

Another spot often overlooked is the chain slider at the front underside of the swing arm pivot (7:00 o'clock to the pivot, viewed from the left side). Check for a hole worn in the slider at that point, and if found, see if the swing arm is badly worn.

The head bearings are subject to water intrusion. Put the bike on the stand and see if the steering rotates smoothly or not.

Otherwise, it's all standard stuff.

On top of what Gray said, pull the seat and the air filter off and look for any signs of dust in the intake. Not too long ago I went to look at a bike that looked pretty good for the most part. Pulled the air filter off and there was dust all down inside the intake, big time deal breaker for me right there.

On top of what Gray said, pull the seat and the air filter off and look for any signs of dust in the intake. Not too long ago I went to look at a bike that looked pretty good for the most part. Pulled the air filter off and there was dust all down inside the intake, big time deal breaker for me right there.

agreed.

130 of what kind of hours?

I'll assume the worst and say mostly racing. Its on its 2nd owner, he hasn't touched the engine.

130 is a lot of hours for any bike. Aside from the motor all the bushings and bearings in the chassis may need attention. What is your quad worth?

I had what was done and what my quad was worth... but it got deleted by the powers above...

Its worth $5500, built big bore engine, elka shocks all around, long travel a arms plus a ton more.

Its in awesome shape and I hate to trade into something that needs a ton of attention.

If in fact your quad is worth that much in the current market, it's not a fair trade. An '08 that's been mostly raced for that long without engine work, even if very well maintained otherwise, is absolutely never going to be worth $5500 when a brand new '09 can be had for that. As said earlier, clean, low hour '08's are currently worth about $3200.

OP, I just got done doing this type of trade myself. It's tough to sell a race quad right now in general. It's impossible to sell for a decent price and not take a bath on it. There is a site I fequent that has ALOT these trades going on, PM me and I'll send you a link.

FWIW, I traded an Original full Walsh YZ hybrid with EVERYTHING (long travel PEP's, TC motor, Walsh swinger,arms, stem), a National level for a 2 hr. bonestock '08 yz450. $7500 quad that would take $15000 to build traded for a $3500 bike b/c noone has money to buy race quads right now. Quad was up for sale for 8 months, best offer recieved $4000.

If both parties are getting what they want, then do it. Dirt riding is an expensive hobby. :ride:

Hey look alittle closer... Gray I cant belive you missed this.. The bike in the photo is not an 08! If I were to bet, I would say it is an 06. No wave roter in front and the side cover case's and valve cover are not black... So what is an 06 worth and how many hours are on it..

Matt

Hey look alittle closer... Gray I cant belive you missed this.. The bike in the photo is not an 08!
You don't have enough evidence to make that statement. The paint is clearly rubbed off the clutch cover, and the picture isn't good enough to determine whether it's black or dark gray. There's no wave rotor in front, but there is in the rear, so which wheel came with the bike?

The VIN number will always determine the year model anyway, but it's a good idea when buying anything used from an unknown source to be fairly certain of what you're getting.

Interesting, though.

i whouldnt trade a machine in great shape for 1 that is not even close, 130 is lots for racing.

a stock machine will last longer, especially when it wasnt raced hard.

2800 bucks in suspension :ride: unless ur very very good a $250 fork job should be more then enough.

2 owner, go figure if this bike was properly maintaine, and how hard it was actully raced, beacuse it was !

stock yzfs are good enough for most of humans.!

no