Zip-Ty fuel screw seated too hard?

7 replies to this topic
  • Lowedog

Posted May 18, 2003 - 08:24 PM

I installed a Zip-Ty fuel screw on my WR450 this week end. I am a little concerned that I screwed it in too hard when installing it. The stock screw was real easy to feel when it seated lightly but the Zip-Ty screw didn't have that feel. I had a hard time telling if it was all the way in because it seemed to turn a little stiffer than the stock screw does. And by looking at the photo in the instructions, mine wasn't nearly as far in as the one in the picture. So I took it back out and looked at it and there was some galling of aluminum on it on the little needle part of it about one M.M. down from the very end. Any way I finished installing it and rode the bike today and it seemed harder to get dialed in than before. With the stock screw it was nuts 2 turns out and with the Zip-Ty screw it seemed more finicky. I have to admit that I also raised the needle up one position. I will have to put it back to the original position and try it since it seemed too fat in the middle. All in all it ran good. My question is did I do any damage to my carb or the needle?

Lowedog

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted May 19, 2003 - 02:48 AM

I notice on mine that it's a little harder to turn as well. I found that with the zip ty, I use 1.5 turns instead of 2. The only thing I really seem to have a problem with is that I still have to use needle nose pliers to turn it. I can't seem to turn it well with just my fingers. There's not enough room with the starter in the way.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted May 19, 2003 - 06:48 AM

I was just trying to install one on my 99 yz400. Apparently the 99 takes a different one than the rest of the newer yamaha thumpers.

The screw I had wouldn't fit thru the hole in the float bowl. If you take the float bowl off and look at the hole at the mating surface. Mine was egg shaped and the screw wouldn't pass thru. I tried installing it at 1st and it felt really stiff. Unbeknowinst to me I wasn't even gettin the screw thru the float bowl. It was tryint to thread itself into the cover and not in the body of the carb. I dont think this is your problem but you may want to check it out just to be sure. I ended up drilling the hole in the cover out slightly to allow the screw to pass thru.

• David_Gronlund

Posted May 19, 2003 - 08:42 AM

I read a thread not to long ago in which people where complaining about the stock screw being to loose and vibrating out, and now the aftermarket screw is too tight. Are you people ever happy? My Zip-Ty fuel screw fits perfectly on my WR450. It is a little snug, but thats good. I know it won't fall out. That Ty Davis guy is pretty smart if you ask me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oRGie

Posted May 19, 2003 - 11:08 AM

I was just trying to install one on my 99 yz400. Apparently the 99 takes a different one than the rest of the newer yamaha thumpers.

The screw I had wouldn't fit thru the hole in the float bowl. If you take the float bowl off and look at the hole at the mating surface. Mine was egg shaped and the screw wouldn't pass thru. I tried installing it at 1st and it felt really stiff. Unbeknowinst to me I wasn't even gettin the screw thru the float bowl. It was tryint to thread itself into the cover and not in the body of the carb. I dont think this is your problem but you may want to check it out just to be sure. I ended up drilling the hole in the cover out slightly to allow the screw to pass thru.

when i ordered 1 for a wr400 zip-ty explained to me that for the older wr's you have to instal from the inside of the carb, take the float bowl off basically, only the newer carbs are you able to just unscrew it all the way out from the bottom..

edit, and its a different screw, no fat knurled end..

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 19, 2003 - 04:13 PM

I agree 100% with Dave, They are supposed to be tight to stay in postion when you ride. I turn mine with my fingers. The knob is knurled but you do have to squeeze it hard to turn it. :)

• Lowedog

Posted May 19, 2003 - 06:18 PM

I hadn't heard about the stock screws falling out. I am glad I changed mine. I agree that Ty Davis came up with a great idea there. Wish I would have thought of it. :) I am still concerned that I may have done some damage though when I first installed it. :D

Lowedog

• DesertChris

Posted May 20, 2003 - 09:01 AM

I installed mine without removing the carb and didn't like the feel. It was tight to turn, did not bottom, and made me feel like it was cross threading or the o-ring a bound up or something. I my opinion if it didn't turn as well has the original something was wrong. I took the carb off and installed it but still had the same problem. I applied some grease to the threads and slowly worked it in and out :) until it turned smoothly.

It appears to me that the anodizing is the cause for the stiff turning. I recommend an anti-siezing lube for this part any how, aluminum to aluminum thread contact is not the greatest idea.

The spring keeps the screw from falling out, if the screw is too far out the spring has little to no tension and the screw can fall out, time for possibly a smaller pilot jet is this is the case. Mine Zip-Ty now turns just as well as the stock one did and I has a positve feel of when it hits bottom.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.