Ty Davis Fuel tank?

6 replies to this topic
  • jimt_yz400

Posted December 02, 2000 - 04:06 PM

Does anyone know if there is a web site that
I can take a look at this tank?
Since I haven't been successful in repairing
the tank I need to find an alternative.
I heard that this is one of the best looking tanks but I'd like to take a look at it.

• Clark_Mason

Posted December 02, 2000 - 04:41 PM

Go to the following URL and click on the pictures of the Ty tank installed on my WZ420.
http://albums.photop...69560&a=7940255

Clark

• jimt_yz400

Posted December 02, 2000 - 05:43 PM

Thx for the pics. How do you like the tank?
I was looking at the IMS, I tried one on this
moring and it's a little tall in the front.
I really don't need a 3 gal tank it's too bad that someone Cyrca doesn't make a 2.6 or 2.8 gal tank. It's not every day that you need a 3.3 gal tank.
How much are they worth?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted December 08, 2000 - 07:32 PM

Originally posted by jimt_yz400:
Thx for the pics. How do you like the tank?
I was looking at the IMS, I tried one on this
moring and it's a little tall in the front.
I really don't need a 3 gal tank it's too bad that someone Cyrca doesn't make a 2.6 or 2.8 gal tank. It's not every day that you need a 3.3 gal tank.
How much are they worth?

I bought one of the Ty Davis tanks for hare scrambles. It is by far the slimmest large volume tank I have ever ridden. Feels just like the stocker to the knees, and the weight is carried low. Fit and finish are excellent. Downside is that you must get the remote hotstart (very worthwhile anyway) and the choke is covered by the tank. You can still reach it though, you just have to feel around. Not to big a price to pay since you only use the choke once a day. Also, be careful if you have a aftermarket exhaust. I sold my Pro-circuit T4 because it would interfere with this tank. Now if my 426 could go more than one lap without fouling its plug...

• jimt_yz400

Posted December 09, 2000 - 03:37 PM

Well, I bought the tank $220. direct from
Ty-Davis Racing.
I just got bakd from the worst ride I've ever had!! The #$& tank will not work with the
White bros head pipe and the tank flexes as it becones wram (or maybe it just settles),so much so that the kickstarter will not fit properly in the slot. It seems as if the
tank slid down and back. Attempting to move the kick starter did nothing. Remounting the tank a few times had little affect on this pblm also.
Therefore after melting a the fuel line a couple of times I thru the tank and the bike in the trailer and went home!
What a waste of time and money. The tank could with a mount on the rhs like the stocker. Since it doesn't it tends to flex and move . I suspect that the kickstarter will eventually wear a hole in the tank since
it bangs around in there.
I'm going to see if I can return it but if
anyone wants it pls let me know.!!

• mikeolichney

Posted December 10, 2000 - 01:57 PM

Originally posted by jimt_yz400:
Well, I bought the tank $220. direct from
Ty-Davis Racing.
I just got bakd from the worst ride I've ever had!! The #$& tank will not work with the
White bros head pipe and the tank flexes as it becones wram (or maybe it just settles),so much so that the kickstarter will not fit properly in the slot. It seems as if the
tank slid down and back. Attempting to move the kick starter did nothing. Remounting the tank a few times had little affect on this pblm also.
Therefore after melting a the fuel line a couple of times I thru the tank and the bike in the trailer and went home!
What a waste of time and money. The tank could with a mount on the rhs like the stocker. Since it doesn't it tends to flex and move . I suspect that the kickstarter will eventually wear a hole in the tank since
it bangs around in there.
I'm going to see if I can return it but if
anyone wants it pls let me know.!!

I did not have the problems you describe. The two shrouds, the rubber retainer at the back of the tank, and the single frame mount seem perfectly adequate for mine. For assembly, I put the frame mount on first, then both shrouds, and then the rubber retainer. My kickstarter is perfectly placed in the recess. You are using the one frame mount? If you left that off, I am sure there would be problems. Like I said, my t4 exhaust did not fit with this tank, but Ty Davis had warned me about that.

• jimt_yz400

Posted December 10, 2000 - 04:34 PM

Yes I am using the one frame mount ( I had to
take off the works connection guards also).
I spent alot of time attempting to get it right and it seems that it initially was
installed correctly but for some reason after
a 30 minute ride (if the fuel line didn't melt- no one told me about the header incompatibility !!) I laid it over and the tank moved more to the right. After that there was no way that the kick starter would
fit in the mold. I took off the tank and
are fitted it but still not dice.
I wish that I was told about the header and the rad guards as well as some info on how to
route the fuel lines etc.

Totally frustrated !!! :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.